Bake these Almond Joy Chocolate Cookies for the coconut lover in your life. They’re fudgy with chopped Mounds bars inside and chocolate, coconut and almonds on top.
Almond Joy Chocolate Cookies
I have a confession for you today.
I don’t like coconut. I guess I should clarify that. I don’t like flaky coconut. If it’s fresh coconut, coconut oil or coconut milk, I’m all over it. There’s just something about flaky coconut that I don’t like. It’s a texture thing, that’s all.
So why am I posting Almond Joy Chocolate Cookies if I don’t like coconut flakes? Because Matt is a total coconut lover. The more coconut, the better, he says. Every now and then I like to surprise him with something totally unexpected. And he’d never expect coconut cookies from me. He loved these cookies and said they were a total keeper, so let me tell you a little about them.
The base recipe for these Almond Joy Chocolate Cookies is our perfectly fudgy double chocolate cookie recipe that we’ve paired with both M&Ms and caramel. These cookies are so chocolately, so soft and brownie-like. They’re amazing. I took those cookies that we love so much and put some chopped Mounds bars in them. Why Mounds bars and not Almond Joy bars? I figured I’d add the almonds on top of the cookie instead of trying to cut up a candy bar with a hard almond on it. You get that coconut flavor that you love in an Almond Joy candy bar baked into your cookie.
For the pool of chocolate on the top of the cookie, take a bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips and melt them in the microwave. Then spoon some of that melted chocolate on the top of each cookie. Before the chocolate sets, sprinkle some shredded coconut and sliced almonds over it. The chocolate will set and hold the coconut and almonds in place on the top of your cookie.
I refrigerated this cookie dough for about 10 minutes after I scooped them onto the cookie sheet. I was going for a bit of a flatter cookie this time. If you like your cookies thicker, you’ll want to refrigerate your cookie dough for at least 30 minutes. You can see how they’ll turn out here if you refrigerate them that long.
If you have someone in your life who likes coconut, make them these cookies. They’ll love you for it!
Bake Almond Joy Chocolate Cookies for the coconut lover in your life. They're fudgy with chopped Mounds bars inside and chocolate, coconut & almonds on top.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 12 fun-size Mounds bars chopped
- 2/3 cup mini chocolate chips
- 10 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Using a stand mixer, beat together the butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add in the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Stir the mixture until it is well blended. Add in the Mounds bars and chocolate chips. Mix until combined. Drop the batter by rounded teaspoons onto baking sheets, then refrigerate for 30 minutes before baking. You can also refrigerate the dough in the bowl for an hour and drop the dough on the cookie sheets after refrigerating.
- Bake the cookies in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake. Let the cookies cool for 3-5 minutes on the baking sheet, then move them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips for 30 seconds then stir the chips. Melt in 20 second intervals, stirring in between, until the chips are completely melted. Spoon a teaspoon of the melted chocolate on top of each cookie. Immediately sprinkle on coconut and almonds.
- Allow the chocolate to set completely, then store the cookies in an airtight container.