This black bean chicken chili with quinoa is a perfect wholesome meal for dinner or lunch. It is made in one pot and loaded with proteins and nutrients.
I am in love with Mexican flavors. Who isn’t? huh… I know, no one would say no, right?
In particular, I love making Mexican chili at home. Because it is so easy to prepare and can be made into a one pot wonder. You can make it in so many ways, like this, turkey chili, sweet potato chili etc., that you can find on WWUE and TOLT. Today, I will be sharing with you one such variation of chili that includes quinoa, black bean and chicken. Amazing flavors combined with veggies and a variety of proteins. And, it is really delicious and super easy to make. Moreover, it is definitely a healthier version of traditional chili as it is prepared using lean meat (chicken) instead of beef together with quinoa and black beans.
How to make black bean chicken chili?
To make this Mexican black bean chicken chili, I used canned black beans, fresh red pepper, fresh tomatoes, Mexican spices and of-course ground chicken. In order to turn this chili into a wholesome dinner, I also added quinoa. To begin, sauté chicken with onion and garlic first. Then add remaining ingredients and simmer until chicken and quinoa are nice and tender. And don’t forget the toppings–they are a must to make it even more delicious! You can use cheese, sour cream, corn chips, avocado slices etc. I went with low-fat sour cream, Mexican cheese blend and oven baked corn chips to add a little crunch in my chili. Step-by-step instructions are given below.
Give it a try and I am sure you’d love it as there are so many reasons to not to…..it is:
full of flavors
and super easy to make
Let me tell you one more secret to making this black bean chicken chili even super tasty. Prepare it and enjoy them the next day–I am just kidding. Actually, leftover chili tastes absolutely amazing the next day as spices and flavors infuse into every bit of this dish with time. That’s what my experience is. That said, it does not mean you cook this chili a day before and serve it the next day.
Black Bean Chicken Chili
- 2 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 3-4 tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Mexican chili powder
- 11/2 teaspoons roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/3 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/3 cup cheese blend
- crushed tortilla chips
- Heat oil in a stock pot on medium heat
- Add minced garlic and sauté until fragrant for about 30-40 sec
- Then add onions and cook until translucent for about 3-4 min
- Add ground chicken and sauté until the pink color disappears (approx. 5-6 min)
- Now add diced tomatoes, red pepper, cumin powder, cayenne pepper and Mexican chili powder and mix until well combined.
- Add black beans, quinoa and chicken stock; mix well and bring the mixture to a boil
- Season with salt, cover the pot and simmer on low heat for about 20 min.
- Once done add chopped cilantro and serve warm.
- Top individual bowls of chili with some cheese, crushed tortilla chips, and sour cream.