Use garden fresh corn and peppers in this easy black bean and corn salad recipe. The honey lime dressing gives amazing flavor to this colorful summer side dish!
One of my favorite parts of a summer picnic (besides the homemade ice cream) is the side salads. When all of the fresh garden vegetables come, it’s time to make favorites like healthy antipasto salads and corn salads with avocados.
If there is one thing I can hardly resist, it’s summer salad with fresh corn added in. Fresh corn is so sweet….it pairs well with veggies and vinaigrettes.
This easy bean, corn and avocado salad is delicious enough to eat with a spoon, or scoop it up with tortilla chips for an evening snack!
Black Bean and Corn Salad Ingredients
This easy summer salad recipe features:
- black beans
- red pepper
- fresh corn
- red onion
- homemade honey lime vinaigrette
How to Make Black Bean and Corn Salad
After you gather your ingredients, it’s time to start putting together the salad.
How to Cook Corn
Here’s the easiest way to cook corn: Put a pot of water on the stove with a little salt and bring the water to a boil. Shuck the corn, then place it in the boiling water. Cover the pot, turn off the heat and allow the corn to sit for 6-8 minutes, depending on how big the ears of corn were (and how “done” you’d like it).
Allow the corn to cool, then cut the corn off the cob.
**Pro Tip: If your corn is fresh and really sweet, you don’t even need to cook it! I like to cook mine just slightly, but if you taste it and it is sweet, it’s just fine to slice it off the cob and add it to the salad raw.**
How to Make Onions Less Strong
Next, chop the red onions. Here’s a hint. If the red onions are really strong, let them soak in cold water for 10 minutes, then drain off the water. This takes the “bite” out of onions but keeps the crunch and the yummy flavor!
Then add the drained beans, chopped pepper and cilantro.
**Pro Tip: Save the avocado and add it right before you serve the salad. This will help keep the salad fresh and prevent the avocado from turning brown.**
How to Make Black Bean Salad Dressing
Next, make the honey lime vinaigrette dressing:
- Place all of the dressing ingredients in a small bowl or tall measuring cup.
- Use an immersion blender to pulse the ingredients until they are smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and mix to combine.
**Pro Tip: If you don’t have an immersion blender, place the ingredients in a food processor or blender and pulse until smooth. If you need an immersion blender, you can see the one we have here.**
Right before you serve the salad, cut up the avocado and gently mix it with the juice from half a lemon. Fold it into the salad.
Do you have to refrigerate black bean salad?
Yes! This salad is best if you refrigerate it for at least an hour before serving. This helps all the flavors to come together well. Be sure to cover the salad.
Refrigerate any leftovers.
Can I freeze black bean salad?
This salad will not freeze well. We do not recommend freezing.
How long does corn and black bean salad last?
This Black Bean and Corn Salad is best eaten the day you make it. Once you cut and add the avocado, it might brown slightly as time goes on. You may find it is still ok the 2nd day, but is best eaten the day you mix it up.
What to Serve with Black Bean and Corn Salad
We like to serve this salad with grilled turkey burgers, bacon cheeseburgers, mexican burgers or mexican steaks. It’s a delicious side dish for just about any picnic! You can also serve it as a side salad for roast beef enchiladas or pulled pork sandwiches.
Other Summer Salad Recipes
- Cucumber Salad with Fresh Tomatoes
- Watermelon Salad
- Spinach Salad with Strawberries
- Fried Green Tomatoes in a Salad
- Broccoli Cauliflower Salad Recipe
Black Bean and Corn Salad
For the salad:
- 2 ears of fresh corn
- 1 large red onion (chopped)
- 15 ounces black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
For the dressing:
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- a few cilantro leaves, if desired
Just before serving:
- 1 avocado (diced)
- 1/2 lemon (juice only)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the shucked corn, cover, and turn the heat off. Allow the corn to cook with the heat off for 10 minutes. Remove the corn from the water and let cool.
- Meanwhile, place the chopped red onions in a small bowl and cover with water. Let sit about ten minutes, then drain completely in a sieve and set aside.
- Holding the cooled corn upright in a large bowl, cut the kernels off the cob in strips.
- Add the beans, red onion, red bell pepper and cilantro to the bowl with the corn.
- Make the dressing by combining all ingredients in a blender or food processor. Process until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Right before serving, cube avocado. Place in a bowl, and gently toss with juice from half a lemon. Add to salad and toss gently.
- Garnish with a fresh squeeze of lime, lime wedges, and fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve cold.