Last week I shared with your our pasta salad seasoning mix and I promised that this week I’d share our Classic Pepperoni Pasta Salad that I make so many times during the summer months. If there’s a picnic that I have to bring a side dish to? You can bet it I’m going to bring this pasta salad. It gets requested often. And it gets most requested by Braden. He loves it. I don’t normally make it during the winter time, mostly because I just don’t think about it. But there is one time that I do make it, and that’s on Braden’s birthday, which is in January. No matter what main dish he requests, he always includes pasta salad and pumpkin pie!
This is really a classic pepperoni pasta salad recipe. It starts with tri-color pasta. Could you use regular pasta? Yes. But tri-color is so much prettier. And maybe, just maybe, it is a teeny bit healthier for you since it has a bit of spinach and tomatoes inside to give it that pretty color. Cook the pasta until is al dente. I don’t like mushy pasta salad, and I’m doubting that you will either.
Then you’re going to add in some tomato, cucumber, olives and red onion.
Next is the most important part, in my opinion. One of the reasons I love pasta salad is because of the chunks of cheese and pepperoni. I like to use the Hormel mini pepperoni pieces, so I don’t have to cut the pepperoni. But when I’m feeling especially chef-like, I buy a chunk of pepperoni and cut it into cubes. That’s my favorite way to eat the salad, but laziness wins out most of the time and we go with pre-sliced pepperonis.
Just before serving, you’ll add in about 1/2 a cup of zesty Italian dressing and 3 tablespoons of our pasta salad seasoning mix. And you’re done!
Serve this up to your friends and family this Memorial Day. It will be a hit!
Pepperoni Pasta Salad
- 1 lb tri-color rotini pasta
- 1 can sliced olives 2.25 ounce
- 5 ounces sliced pepperoni
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 cup cubed cheddar cheese
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 3 tablespoons pasta salad seasoning
- 1/2 cup zesty Italian dressing
- Cook the pasta according to package directions and allow it to cool.
- Once the pasta has cooled to room temperature, add the olives, pepperoni, onion, cheese, cucumber and tomato. Stir well.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the salad seasoning on top of the salad, then pour the dressing over the top. Mix well. Add more dressing, if desired.