This vegetarian Frito Taco Salad comes together quickly by using bottled dressing. It’s full of tomatoes, onions, cheese, lettuce and beans and has crunchy Fritos mixed in!
Who out there loves Fritos? Those salty, crunchy corn chips are one of those food items that I can’t keep in the house. When that craving for something salty hits at about 2:30 in the afternoon, I go straight for the pantry to see if we have any chips. I rarely keep chips in the house for that reason, but every now and then we have some leftover from a party and I get to indulge myself. Fritos are one of my favorites.
That makes this Frito Taco Salad one of my favorite salads. Fritos become just a little bit healthier when they get thrown in a salad, right? Ok….maybe not, but I can still pretend.
This easy salad finds its way on the table at many of our get togethers. Although I’ve always loved eating it, I’ve only recently started making it more. The kids are old enough to enjoy it now, so that makes it a great side dish, and in some cases, a perfect main dish!
To make this salad, you’ll cut the tomatoes and onions ahead of time and allow them to marinate in the French dressing mixture for a few hours. Right before serving time, add the kidney beans and cheese to some cut up lettuce. Then add the tomato, onion and dressing mixture. Put the crushed Fritos in right at the last minute. This salad is best served right after mixing, so only make as much as you’ll eat at one time.
Serve up this salad to your family this upcoming picnic season!
Frito Taco Salad
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 4 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup French dressing
- 2/3 cup Catalina Sweet & Spicy dressing
- 1 can kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 cups Fritos corn chips slightly crushed
- In a small bowl, combine the Roma tomatoes, onions and dressings. Allow this to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour before serving.
- Cut the head of lettuce into bite-size pieces. Place the lettuce in a large bowl.
- Add the kidney beans and cheddar cheese to the lettuce.
- Add the dressing mixture and Fritos.
- Mix well and serve immediately.