Cheesy and delicious these Oven Baked Cheesy Potatoes are quick, easy and are the absolute perfect side dish to any meal!
Another delicious potato recipe to add to your “easy side dish” arsenal. These oven baked cheesy potatoes can bake while you prepare your skillet chicken or hamburgers for dinner.
Oven Baked Cheesy Potatoes
Want to know what my favorite part of dinner is? THE SIDE DISHES! My family loves to have variety at the dinner table. I typically make at least three sides to go with our main course unless it’s a one pot meal, then it’s all in that one pot.
What potatoes are best for roasting?
For diced roasted potatoes, we like to use red potatoes. They have a waxy texture and hold their shape well during cooking. Yukon gold potatoes are our second choice.
What is the best oil to use for roast potatoes?
We prefer to use coconut oil. Don’t like the taste of coconut oil? Go for refined coconut oil instead of virgin coconut oil. Both great for cooking, but refined has little to no taste of coconut. 🙂 You can also use canola oil.
How to Make Oven Roasted Potatoes
- Chop the potatoes to about 1/2″ or 3/4″ cubes. Make sure they are all similar in size so they cook evenly. You can chop the potato bites as big or as small as you’d like. We tend to do a smaller cut so that the potatoes don’t need to cook as long.
- Toss the potatoes in oil and then season.
- Place the potato cubes on a baking sheet and bake at 400º Fahrenheit for about 25 minutes.
- Stir the potatoes once or twice while baking so they brown on all sides.
- Make sure the potatoes are fully cooked and browned to your liking before adding the cheese. When we cook them they’re fluffy in the inside and slightly crisp on the outside, not crunchy. You could make them crunchy if you’d like, but we just prefer to have a softer potato. If you’d like a crisper potato, put them under the broiler for 3-4 minutes. Watch them closely!
- Once they’re done you just top the potatoes once they’re done with freshly shredded mozzarella (you can use store-bought shredded too!) and pop back into the hot oven for about 3-4 minutes to allow the cheese to melt. This recipe is delicious with or without the cheese!
What to Serve with Potatoes
Oven Baked Cheesy Potatoes
- 3 Red Potatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mozzarella shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking pan lightly with cooking spray.
- Chop the potatoes in 1/2″ to 3/4″ chunks. Use a paper towel to dry them slightly, then place the potatoes in a bowl.
- Mix the potatoes with the coconut oil and seasonings.
- Arrange the potatoes in a single layer on the baking sheet so the potatoes can cook evenly.
- Bake for 25 minutes, stirring one or two times during baking,until desired brownness is achieved. If you’d like potatoes crispy, place them under the broiler for 2-4 minutes. WATCH THEM CLOSELY!
- Cover potatoes with shredded cheese and place back into the hot oven for 3-4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve and enjoy!