Roasted red potatoes are a delicious side dish that pairs perfectly with just about everything. This recipe for crispy roasted potatoes is incredibly easy to make. As a result, you can serve them for any meal of the day!
Two of our most popular recipes are potatoes….baked potatoes and roasted potatoes. Because we love potatoes so much, we wanted to focus on roasted red potatoes…our favorite potato to use in many of our recipes!
In this post we’ll teach you how to get crispy skin and amazing flavor on roasted potatoes. The perfect temperature and just the right amount of time to leave you with a side dish your kids will love.
Are red potatoes good for roasting?
Red potatoes are in the “waxy” potato family, meaning they have a thin skin and are lower in starch than their cousin, the russet potato. As a result, they hold their shape well when they are cooked, making them the perfect choice for potato salad and potato soup.
While it may be true that starchier potato varieties roast up crispier, it IS possible to make roasted red potatoes that come out crispy and delicious!
Are red potatoes better for you?
All potato varieties offer healthy nutrients and when eaten in moderation, can be part of a healthy diet. Even better news is, half of the fiber found in potatoes comes from the skin. In addition to fiber, the skin of red potatoes is packed with healthy nutrients!
Red potatoes are very healthy! A few health benefits of red potatoes:
- more potassium than a banana
- naturally gluten-free
- a 1/2 cup serving provides 45 percent of the recommended daily intake of Vitamin C!
Should you wash red potatoes before roasting?
Yes! You should always wash fruits and vegetables before you cook them.
Should you peel red potatoes before roasting?
Please do not peel your potatoes before making the roasted red potatoes recipe! If you peel the potatoes, you will lose a lot of their health benefits. Instead, use a vegetable scrubber and a little cool water to remove any dirt or debris from the potatoes. Thoroughly dry the potatoes off after washing. If the potatoes are wet, the skin won’t become crispy during roasting.
What seasonings are best for potatoes?
You can really use any seasonings you’d like on potatoes. We’ve done a combination of cumin and chili powder for a little extra spice….a sprinkling of garlic salt and onion powder…or savory spices such as rosemary and thyme. The potatoes we show here are Italian potatoes with Italian seasoning.
Tips for making the BEST roasted red potatoes
Follow these tips to make crispy roasted potatoes that everyone will love!
- Thoroughly wash and dry the potatoes before dicing them.
- To assure even cooking, dice the potatoes into pieces as close in size as possible.
- Don’t overdo the oil. All you need is a light coating of olive oil to allow the Italian seasoning to stick.
- If the potatoes aren’t crispy enough for your liking, you can place them under a broiler for a few minutes. To prevent them from burning, be sure to watch them closely!
Other Potato Recipes
Roasted Red Potatoes
- 2 cups diced red potatoes
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon parsley flakes
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place diced potatoes in a large bowl and spray with olive oil cooking spray.
- Season with Italian seasoning, parsley flakes, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Place potatoes in a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring halfway through. Potatoes are done when they are golden brown and crispy on the outside.
- If you'd like the potatoes a little more golden brown, place them under the broiler for just a minute or two. Watch them closely!