Oven Baked Cheesy Potatoes are a side dish casserole that the family will love! Two types of cheese made this the creamiest, cheesiest potatoes ever. Love potatoes? Here’s our BEST potato recipes!
Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
I remember eating this cheesy potato casserole often when I was younger. When I first got married, I’d email my mom for some of my favorite recipes. I happened to come across this recipe I had printed out from her a few weeks ago. Oh man…they are s0 good and perfect for taking to potlucks and picnics.
What’s in cheesy potatoes?
What makes cheesy potatoes the cheesiest? This recipe calls for butter, milk, cheddar cheese and Velveeta. If you want really creamy potatoes, Velveeta cheese is the way to go. It melts smooth and rich…making it ideal for casseroles. You’ll also add a touch of salt and a handful of diced onion for flavor. Cut up a piece of bread or two into tiny pieces and add it to the mix. The bread adds a fantastic texture!
What are the best potatoes for cheesy potatoes?
We used Russet potatoes for our cheesy potato casserole. Russet potatoes are a high starch potato that have a light texture. They’ll fall apart a little in the casserole, which adds to the creaminess.
If you want your potatoes to stay in chunks and not get creamy, use red potatoes. They are low starch and hold their shape well.
Yukon gold potatoes are a good in-between potato that works well in this recipe, too!
How do you make cheesy potatoes in the oven?
For this recipe, you’ll need to wash, peel, cut and boil the potatoes first before you make the casserole. Boil them until they are just starting to soften. It is ok if they are still a little firm because they’ll continue to soften as they cook in the oven.
Place the potatoes in a greased casserole dish, then add the remaning ingredients and give it a little mix.
Sprinkle a little cheese over the top then bake it uncovered for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. The cheese should be bubbly and just a little browned. That’s how you know it’s done!
How do you make cheesy potatoes in the slow cooker?
If you’d like, you can mix the cooked potatoes and other ingredients in a bowl and then add them to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours or until the cheese is bubby and heated through. It’s a good idea to spray the slow cooker liner with cooking spray so that the potatoes aren’t as likely to stick.
What goes with cheesy potatoes for dinner?
Here are some of our favorites!
Cheesy Potatoes Recipe
- 13-14 medium red potatoes
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 slice bread (cubed)
- 16 ounces velveeta cheese (cubed)
- ¾ cup butter (melted)
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon salt (to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¾ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into ¾” cubes.
- Fill a large saucepan with water and set to medium high heat so that the water boils.
- Add the potatoes to the hot water and cook until the potatoes are slightly softened.
- Drain the potatoes and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Spray a 9x13 baking pan or 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Add the potatoes to the prepared dish.
- Add the chopped onion, bread cubes, Velveeta, melted butter and milk.
- Stir well.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese overtop.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through.