Buttery, baked chicken with a garlic parmesan breading. A simple butter mixture bakes into the garlic parmesan chicken to keep it tender. You may also like our buttermilk chicken!
Garlic Parmesan Chicken Recipe
Several years ago, we kids created a home restaurant called “Lizzy T’s Bistro”. We loved making dinner for our parents! This Garlic Parmesan Chicken was included in that first ever meal I cooked for them. I served this parmesan baked chicken with spaghetti to my parents that night and it tasted great! You can also serve it like the picture shows, with potatoes and veggies, or decide yourself. It can be served countless ways. If you absolutely love Italian, garlic, and yummy, tender chicken, this is the recipe for you!
Baked Chicken Breasts
Although you can use bone-in chicken pieces if you’d like, we like this recipe best with using chicken breasts. The chicken breasts we used were large (3 chicken breasts = 2 1/3 pounds). If the chicken breasts you are using are also large cut them in half to get 6 pieces. Place the chicken breasts in a zippered bag. Use the side of a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken breasts to 1/2″ thickness throughout so they cook evenly.
Parmesan Breading for Chicken
This easy bread crumb coating has dry bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, parsley salt and pepper. It’s so easy to make! We use plain bread crumbs, but you could use Italian bread crumbs if you’d like. If you choose those, you can leave out the parsley.
Garlic Butter Sauce
This 3 ingredient sauce has garlic, butter and lemon juice. We like to squeeze the juice from a lemon so it is as fresh as can be. You can use bottled lemon juice if you don’t have fresh lemons. Also, the lemon juice does not make the chicken taste lemony. It just adds a fresh flavor!
How to Make Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- Dip the chicken in milk
- Roll in the Parmesan mixture.
- Place the chicken in the prepared pan.
- Drizzle the garlic butter sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes, then uncover, turn the chicken over (We like to use long tongs to flip the chicken. A spatula works great too!) and bake for an additional 15 minutes or until the chicken tests done.
Do you want your chicken extra golden brown? After baking, set the oven to low broil and cook for 2-3 minutes to get a beautiful golden brown color. Watch chicken closely so it doesn’t burn!
**We LOVE our Thermoworks ThermaPen to quickly test meat temperatures. This probe thermometer is AMAZING. Get it here.**
What to Serve with Chicken
Garlic Parmesan Chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1/4 cup butter (for melting in the pan)
For the Parmesan Breading:
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
For the Butter Sauce:
- 1/4 cup butter (melted)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- The chicken breasts we used were large (3 chicken breasts = 2 1/3 pounds). If the chicken breasts you are using are also large cut them in half to get 6 pieces.
- Place the chicken breasts in a zippered bag. Use the side of a meat tenderizer to pound the chicken breasts to 1/2" thickness throughout so they cook evenly.
Bread the Chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place 1/4 cup butter in a 9x13 pan and place it in the oven for the butter to melt while the oven heats.
- In a bowl, mix the breadcrumbs, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper. Place milk in another shallow bowl.
- Dip chicken in milk, then roll it in the crumb mixture.
- Place chicken in the baking dish with the melted butter.
- Combine the butter, garlic and lemon juice and drizzle over the chicken, then sprinkle on the paprika.
- Cover the pan loosely with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, turn the chicken and bake uncovered for an additional 15 minutes. The baking time will depend on the thickness of the chicken, so be sure to check it to make sure it is thoroughly cooked. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees Fahrenheit.