Start with a box cake mix and end up with soft, fluffy, custom cinnamon cupcakes swirled with homemade cinnamon buttercream. Simple ingredients with an amazing flavor.
Cinnamon Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting. This simple cupcake recipe was actually inspired by the cinnamon Teddy Grahams, which are my favorite flavor. I love cinnamon almost as much as I love chocolate and peanut butter.
And just when I thought I couldn’t love buttercream frosting any more than I do, I find homemade cinnamon buttercream. Perfection, I say. I’m not exaggerating when I say that this homemade buttercream frosting melts in your mouth. If you like cinnamon, you’ll love these cinnamon cupcakes. And if you top it with a cinnamon Teddy Graham? You’re kids will love it, too.
Ok…if they’re like my kids, it wouldn’t have to have the Teddy Graham on top for them to love it, but it definitely adds to the “cute” factor.
You’re going to love these cinnamon cupcakes because they start with a boxed cake mix. Homemade cake is a classic, but you can never go wrong with doctoring up boxed cake mixes. Add a little bit of cinnamon and vanilla, eggs, oil, and vanilla pudding mix. And use milk in place of the water. Using milk in a cake mix makes for a richer cake that tastes like it is from the bakery.
Bake as directed on the back of the box. Every box mix is slightly different so just follow the baking times on the back of the brand that you have.
Then you’ll frost them with the cinnamon buttercream that you whip up. Don’t be afraid of homemade frosting…buttercream is easy. The most important tip when making the buttercream is to first whip the butter until it is light and fluffy. It will take about 2 minutes using a stand mixer (or hand mixer) and the butter will turn almost white. Then you’ll add your other ingredients and whip for about another 2 minutes using the whisk attachment. Don’t get impatient. The several minutes of whipping is what beats air into your frosting and makes your buttercream light and fluffy!
We shared these with the teens in our church Sunday School and with Matt’s coworkers and they loved them. We got thumbs up all around:)
I hope you enjoy them, too!
Cinnamon cupcakes made from a boxed cake mix with melt-in-your-mouth cinnamon buttercream!
- 1 package yellow cake mix 18 1/4 ounces
- 1 package vanilla instant pudding mix 4-serving size
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.. Lightly grease or line 24 muffin cups with paper baking cups. Set aside. Beat cake mix, pudding mix, milk, oil, eggs, cinnamon and vanilla in bowl of electric mixer on low speed just to moisten, scraping sides as needed. Beat on medium speed 2 minutes.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each cup 2/3 full. We like to use an ice cream scoop!
- Bake 15-17 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.
- Beat 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened, in large bowl of an electric mixer (whisk attachment) on medium speed until light, fluffy, and almost white in appearance.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla; mix until blended.
- Add in 1 tablespoon cinnamon and 2 cups powdered sugar. Beat until well blended.
- Add 3 tablespoons of heavy cream and beat until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add more powdered sugar to stiffen the buttercream, or more heavy cream to make it more spreadable, as you desire.
- Use a decorating bag and Wilton tip 1M to pipe swirls on top of the cupcakes, or simply spread on the frosting with a knife.
Recipe from McCormick.com
Our other Teddy Graham Recipes: