Only 10 minutes needed to cure your chocolate chip cookie cravings! Learn how to make edible cookie dough safely and quickly.
It’s a quick and easy recipe that we’re sharing today…one that will cure your blues in about 5 minutes. Everyone loves cookies, and who doesn’t sneak a little bit of cookie dough when you’re baking?
If you love cookie dough as much as we do, you’ll want to stick this easy edible cookie dough recipe away for a rainy day. Or when that cookie craving hits!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- mixes together in 5 minutes
- safe to eat since the flour is cooked
- perfect for adding to desserts or charcuterie boards
- cures those chocolate cravings
What is the difference between cookie dough and edible cookie dough?
The main difference between the two is that edible dough does not have eggs. Eggs would make the cookie dough unsafe to eat so they are left out. A touch of milk is added to replace the moisture from the eggs.
Is it safe to eat edible cookie dough?
If something is labeled “edible cookie dough”, then it should be safe to eat and edible. There are two key things that make cookie dough safe to eat:
- No eggs added. There should be no eggs at all.
- Cooked flour. Raw flour can have bacteria in it, so it is important to bake the flour to bake off any unwanted bacteria.
How to make Edible Cookie Dough
Once you’ve cooked the flour, all you do is simply mix the ingredients together. It’s easiest to use a hand mixer so the butter gets mixed in evenly.
Add in the chocolate chips last. You can use mini chocolate chips, shaved chocolate or traditional chocolate chips. You choose your favorite!
Edible Cookie Dough
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup salted butter (softened)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread out the flour.
- Bake the flour for five minutes at 350º Fahrenheit to kill any bacteria. Make sure the flour doesn't brown. Allow the flour to cool before
- In a small bowl, mix the ingredients for the cookie dough together until well combined.
What happens if you cook edible cookie dough?
We are often asked if you can cook this cookie dough. The answer? You can. However the cookies won’t be amazing. Because there aren’t eggs they will be flat and just not that exciting. This recipe is made to be eaten raw. Here’s our favorite baked chocolate chip cookie recipe.
The possibilities for cookie add-ins are endless:
- toffee bits
- chopped candy bars
- crushed pretzels or potato chips (trust me…it’s so good!)
- chopped nuts
- caramel bits
You can use all brown sugar for a deeper flavor or change up the extract to almond or rum extract if you’d like.
How to Use Cookie Dough
Wondering what to do with this cookie dough (other than the obvious attack it with a spoon 😂 )? Try one of our favorites: