A light and delicious bundt, this Shirley Temple Cake will evoke the inner child in us. Full of lemon lime and cherry flavor this cake is truly addicting!
Shirley Temple Cake
Please don’t tell me that I was the only one as a child who got to enjoy the iconic Shirley Temple Drink? Oh man how I loved them! It was the perfect mocktail of my youth! I can honestly say it’s been ages since I’ve had one and it took me creating this cake to realize that! Man I hate when it happens that way! But I’m so happy I got to take a little trip down memory lane!
Ok, so another trip down memory lane is 7Up Cake! So my mom used to literally always but this cake from the grocery store every week. I was absolutely in love as a kid. Like I could probably of eaten that whole cake to myself if I was allowed and if my dad would leave some for me! Which was touch and go because that guy was about as addicted as me or even more so.
Ok so back to the creation of this Shirley Temple Cake. I wanted to combine a few of my favorite childhood favorites into one and so this absolutely delicious cake was born. And let me tell you my friends, I’m a HUGE cake fan. Like you don’t even know how far my cake addiction extends. If I could live off of cake forever and ever, then I would totally do that. Unfortunately I’ve come to the point in my adulthood where I have realized that that isn’t really feasible or healthy so I get to enjoy in moderation.
But moderation comes once a night because this girl doesn’t go to bed without dessert, and that dessert usually is cake. This cake is a 7Up flavored cake with cherries mixed into the batter which is baked up nice and golden. It’s then poked and poured with cherry juice and glazed with a delicious sweet lemon glaze. These flavors just burst in your mouth and the saturation of the cherry juice right under the top is AH-MAZING!
Please don’t make me beg you more than once to run now and make this cake, because trust me when I say that it will be a family favorite and one that will be made over and over and over because it surely is in my house!!
Shirley Temple Cake
- 1 1/2 cups butter softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 3/4 cup 7up
- 1 jar maraschino cherries 10 oz, drained and juice reserved
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3-4 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 325.
- In large bowl mix together your butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in your eggs and continue to mix until blended.
- Add in your flour and mix again until smooth.
- Pour in your lemon extract and 7up and beat to combine.
- Fold in your cherries.
- Grease a 10" bundt pan with shortening, then dust it with flour.
- Spread the batter into a greased & floured bundt pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until center is set.
- Allow the cake to cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan.
- Turn the cake onto serving dish and let cool slightly and then using a skewer poke holes all over the top of the cake and pour your reserved cherry juice slowly over the top making sure the juice gets soaked up. It's ok for it to seep to the bottom to soak as well.
- Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile mix together your glaze ingredients and drizzle over the top of your cake.
- Top with more cherries if desired.