Jazz up a boxed cake mix to create a moist, fruity layer cake with an easy Cool Whip frosting! This Pig Pickin’ Cake is an old fashioned recipe favorite.
Orange Pineapple Pig Pickin’ Cake
Today I have an unbelievable cake recipe for you. I found this Orange Pineapple Pig Pickin’ Cake years ago in a Taste of Home cookbook. I am a pineapple lover, so I knew this cake was for me. After baking it once, I was in love! Since that time, we’ve shared it with many people, the biggest group being our church family. They love this cake and I am asked to make it quite often. Which is fine with me, since it is so easy. Next to chocolate and peanut butter? This cake takes home the ribbon.
I know many recipes claim to be easy, but believe me. This pig pickin’ cake is quick, and won’t disappoint.
Easy Pineapple Cake with Cake Mix
You are going to use a boxed yellow cake and mix it according to the box directions. I know some balk at the idea of a cake mix, but they really do make such delicious muffins, pancakes and even candies. The key to the moistness of this cake is the addition of a can of drained mandarin oranges. Just add these oranges to the cake batter and mix to blend it well. Then bake the cakes as the box directs.
The joke around our house about layer cakes is that there are certain family members who love to cut the dome off the top of the cake in order to make it a flat layer. If you are like our family and love the top part of a cake, this cake is for you. It is absolutely the best cake to eat…with or without the frosting!
Whipped Pineapple Frosting
The frosting is just as easy as the cake. Just mix a can of drained crushed pineapple with a box of vanilla pudding. Then fold in Cool Whip and you are done! This is one of my favorite cakes to make since you can’t mess up frosting it. It looks great a little messy.
Trust me…with a tastes like this, no one will mind.
Make this cool, refreshing Pineapple Sunset Layer Cake for a picnic this summer!
Must Have Cake Mix Recipes! Sometimes you need a shortcut. Just because time is in limited supply, it doesn’t mean that flavor and fun have to be! Our cookbook has 20 cakes and cupcakes that all start with a cake mix but end up as a beautiful dessert no one will be able to resist. Click here to read about it!
Pig Pickin' Cake
- 1 box yellow cake mix (plus ingredients the box mix calls for)
- 11 ounces mandarin oranges (11 ounces, drained)
- 20 ounces unsweetened crushed pineapple (20 ounces, drained)
- 3.4 ounces dry instant vanilla pudding mix
- 12 ounces Cool Whip (or stabilized whipped cream)
- Prepare cake batter according to the directions on the box.
- Beat in the drained oranges until blended.
- Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then transfer from the pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine the drained pineapple and dry vanilla pudding mix.
- Fold in the Cool Whip.
- Spread some of the frosting on the top of one layer.
- Then put the other layer of cake on top of that. Spread the remaining frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with mandarin oranges or pineapple chunks, if desired.
- Store this cake in the refrigerator.