These Funfetti Pancakes will make a birthday shine or give an ordinary day a special start. A cake mix gives it that well-loved cake batter flavor, but these still have a wonderful pancake texture. And don’t forget the buttercream glaze on top!
Today’s a special day in our house. It’s Kinslee’s birthday! Her official birthday, anyway. She’s actually had three celebrations already, but this day is still special to her. In our house, no birthday is complete without SPRINKLES. I love starting the day with a healthy breakfast, but on birthdays all bets are off. The sugar comes out in full force.
This stack of Funfetti Pancakes were a huge hit at Kinslee’s birthday sleepover last week. The girls loved the colorful sprinkles inside. This giggly group of breakdancers were more than happy to be my taste testers.
“They taste like wedding cake!” Success #1.
“The frosting is soooooo good! It melts in my mouth!” Success #2.
“Can I have more?” Success #3.
These pancakes are made with a box of Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix. Now we’ve showed you how to make a cake mix pancake recipe before and they’ve been a favorite ever since. Why change a good thing, you ask? For these Funfetti Pancakes, I wanted more of a pancake texture instead of a cupcake texture. A little firmer, not as “cakey”, but still super soft and fluffy.
To get the texture I wanted, I started with my favorite pancake recipe, Amish Griddle Cakes. I adjusted the ratio of the ingredients just a bit, then added in a Funfetti cake mix. After a couple test pancakes and adjustments, I had my perfect pancake texture.
Don’t forget the melt-in-your mouth vanilla buttercream glaze on top. It’s your classic vanilla buttercream turned into a fantastically sweet drizzle to spoon over your freshly made pancakes. For my little pink-loving, ballerina, happy-go-lucky, newly 9-year old, it doesn’t get much better than that.
If you’re looking for super cute birthday cake ideas for boys, you can find 112 cake ideas here on Spaceships & Laser Beams!
Q: What is the one thing you always celebrate with on your birthdays?
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 box Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/3 cups milk
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 tablespoons half & half cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cake mix. Set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix together the oil, eggs and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Fold in the sprinkles. Batter will be thick. (If you'd like thinner pancakes, you can add a bit more milk.)
- Heat a griddle to about 250-275 degrees (low heat so the pancakes do not burn). Spray the griddle with cooking spray.
- Ladle the pancake batter onto the hot pan and cook the pancakes for about 1-2 minutes or until bubbles start forming in the batter. Flip the pancake and cook for an additional minute or until cooked through.
- This recipes makes about 22 5" pancakes.
For the Frosting
- In a small bowl, stir together the powdered sugar, softened butter, cream and vanilla. This frosting will be at a spreadable consistency.
- If you'd like to drizzle the frosting, microwave the frosting for about 10 seconds and stir, then drizzle over the pancakes.
- Double the frosting recipe, if desired.