Red Velvet Crepes filled with Chocolate Whipped Cream and fresh strawberries will be the perfect breakfast to serve on Valentine’s Day!
Red Velvet Crepes with Chocolate Whipped Cream
Hi guys! Manali here from Cook With Manali. This is my first time here and I am so excited to be sharing my recipes on Tastes Of Lizzy T. It’s the Valentine’s Week and I am sure you guys must have made special plans to celebrate the day. As a foodie, most of my plans revolve around food. Seriously like whatever the occasion might be – husband’s birthday, our anniversary, Christmas or Valentine’s Day my mind always goes to the food first.
Valentine’s Day Breakfast Idea
And so with Valentine’s Day being just a few days away, I have already decided on my menu. My yearly valentine day ritual is to start the day with a delicious breakfast like cinnamon rolls, pancakes, crepes etc. In case you are not sure what special to make for 14th Feb this year, then I have got the perfect recipe for you. These red velvet crepes filled with chocolate whipped cream and strawberries will definitely start your day on the right note. After all, nothing says love more than red velvet!
Crepes are so versatile and that is why I love them. They can both be sweet or savory and come together pretty quickly. The first time I had crepes was at a French cafe in Seattle. It’s a small cafe but extremely popular and their crepes are really awesome. My husband always goes for the nutella strawberry whereas I love the savory spinach crepes. See, I told you crepes are so versatile! The first time I had them, I thought they were so fancy and never even thought about making them at home. But over the years as I started venturing more in the kitchen, crepes also happened one day and I realized how easy they are!
And you guys know the best part about making crepes? The batter is done in a blender! I seriously love recipes where I don’t have to use 10,000 dishes! Don’t you?
How to Make Crepes
In case you have never made crepes before, they are so easy that you don’t have to worry at all. Put everything in a blender, blend till combined and just like that your batter is ready. You then need to put the batter into the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes. This is optional but recommended because it makes the batter easier to work with.
Once the batter is ready to go, make the crepes on a non-stick pan. The crepe batter is very thin so swirl your pan around to distribute the batter evenly. It’s fairly easy and once you start making, you will get a hang of it. I hope you guys give these red velvet crepes a try this Valentine’s Day and enjoy them as much as we did!
* The prep time includes the waiting time of 30 minutes when the batter is kept in the refrigerator.
Red Velvet Crepes
Red Velvet Crepes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup + 1/8 cup water
- 2-3 teaspoons liquid red food color
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 tablespoons granulated white sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Strawberries sliced
- Chocolate sauce to drizzle on top (optional)
Make the crepe batter.
- In a blender or food processor, mix together all the ingredients listed under "red velvet crepes".
- Pulse for a minute or two, till everything is well combined.
- Pour batter into a bowl, cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. You can even make the batter in the night to save time in the morning.
Make Chocolate Whipped Cream Filling
- Keep the steel bowl of your stand mixer or any bowl in which you are going to beat the cream along with the whisk attachment in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes.
- Beat heavy cream using the wire whisk attachment of your stand mixer or using your hand mixer.
- Once the cream starts getting little thick, add in granulated sugar, cocoa powder and vanilla extract.
- Beat till the filling forms semi-firm peaks, being careful not to over-beat.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Make the red velvet crepes
- Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat. Spray with non-stick spray.
- Once hot, pour ¼ cup [or more for bigger crepes] of batter in the pan and swirl the pan so that batter gets evenly spread around the pan.
- Cook for 45 seconds to 1 minutes and then flip the crepe carefully.
- Cook the other side for additional 30-45 seconds.
- Remove from heat and repeat till the entire batter is finished.
Serve the crepe
- Take one crepe at a time, spoon chocolate whipped cream on one side of the crepe, placed sliced strawberries on top and fold into a quarter or you can fold the crepe into a quarter and place the filling on top.
- Drizzle some chocolate sauce on top (optionaand serve with extra strawberries!