Funfetti Cake Mix Sandwich Cookies are simply made with a boxed cake mix, then filled with buttercream frosting. Perfect for birthdays, parties and celebrations!
There’s a few special things about these Funfetti Cake Mix Sandwich Cookies that we’re sharing with you today. They’re perfect for our blogiversary month for several reasons.
1. They’re bright, cheerful colors. Isn’t that cute? We knew we wanted to make a special treat using Maddie’s favorite colors…turquoise blue and a dark pink.
2. They have sprinkles…because really, all celebrations need sprinkles! There was a point in time when Maddie didn’t want anything to do with sprinkles. She’s come a long way and is full embracing the wonderful, colorful world of sprinkles these days!
3. The cookies are made with a cake mix. We love cake mix recipes! We have bars, coffee cakes, quick breads and pancakes all made with cake mixes. They’re so fun and versatile because of the many, many flavors of cake mixes out there!
4. They’re filled with frosting. Frostings are key here at Tastes of Lizzy T. Peanut butter frosting, chocolate buttercream, vanilla buttercream, cream cheese frosting….the more frosting, the better. And that is just the beginning we have so many more fun frostings planned for you!
These Funfetti Cake Mix Sandwich Cookies are super easy to make. You’ll take one box of Pillsbury funfetti cake mix, an egg, 1/2 a block of cream cheese and 1/2 a stick of butter. Throw in some food coloring if you’d like. We added pink food coloring. If you don’t add any, your cookies will be white, which would be super cute, too! Mix this all up, roll the dough into balls, then roll the dough balls in sprinkles. Gently press the tops of the cookies to flatten them just a bit. Bake them at 350 degrees for 10 minutes and you’re done!
To make the frosting, whip 1 stick of softened butter in a stand mixer until it is almost white. Be sure to use real butter, and be sure not to try to save on time by not whipping the butter…it is what is going to make your frosting fluffy! Add in 3/4 teaspoons vanilla, 2 cups of powdered sugar and about 1 1/2-2 tablespoons of milk. Beat the frosting again and add food coloring of your choice, if desired.
Or….if that sounds like just too much work, use your favorite store-bought frosting. Really…it’s OK. We all need shortcuts at times! Take another shortcut and just use a knife to swipe a sweet gob of frosting on a cookie. Or, if you want to make a pretty swirl of frosting, use a frosting bag and a Wilton tip. We like Wilton tip 1M or 2D.
We served these Funfetti Cake Mix Sandwich Cookiesto a whole gang of kids and let me tell you…they went fast. After all…who can resist sprinkles?
Funfetti Cake Mix Cookie Sandwiches
- 1 Pillsbury Funfetti cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Pink food coloring
- 3/4 cup sprinkles
- 1/2 cup salted butter softened
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2-2 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix the cake mix, egg, cream cheese and butter until it is all well combined. Roll the dough into 1-inch balls. This makes about 44 balls.
- Roll the balls in sprinkles, then place them on a cookie sheet. Gently press down on the top of the balls to slightly flatten them.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Move the cookies to a wire rack to cool.
- In a stand mixer bowl, with the mixer on medium speed, whip the butter for 2-3 minutes until it is almost white in color.
- Add in the powdered sugar, vanilla and 1 1/2 tablespoons milk. Add a drop of food coloring, if desired. Beat on low speed for 3-5 minutes, adding in another 1/2 tablespoon of milk if the buttercream needs to be thinner.
- Spread or pipe frosting on half of the cookie. Place another cookie on top of the frosting to make sandwiches. Store in an airtight container.
Want to make a patriotic version of this cookie? Add blue food coloring to the cookies, then red food coloring to the buttercream. Roll in patriotic sprinkles!