Are you tired of pumpkin yet? I’ve had my share of pumpkin treats this fall, but I’m not tired of it yet. Just last week I got to have my all-time favorite homemade pumpkin dessert. Pumpkin Crumb Pie. Matt thinks it is the best pie ever. In fact, he says it is the best dessert ever. Those are some loaded words there, but I may just have to agree with him.
Another of my favorite pumpkin desserts is pumpkin cheesecake. Actually, pumpkin-and-cream-cheese-anything would have high rank in this house. Since having an entire cheesecake sitting around the house is dangerous territory, I created these Pumpkin Cream Cheese Pastries to satisfy any cravings that might pop up.
Remember our Cinnamon Cream Cheese Pastry Puffs? As soon as I made those this past summer, I knew a pumpkin version needed to happen. I used that same recipe, adding in some pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice to give it just a hint of pumpkin flavor. The filling is creamy, sweet, and lightly rich.
The breading couldn’t be easier since it uses Pillsbury Grands!®Jr. Golden Layers Butter Tastin’ Biscuits. Anything with “butter tastin'” in the name is guarunteed a success. Using the store-bought refrigerated biscuit dough makes this an easy recipe you can make in just under 30 minutes.
My family gobbles these up whether they are cold or warm. They add the perfect touch of sweetness to go with your morning coffee as you sit and relax or they make a quick, grab-‘n-go breakfast as you head out to work or school. We even ate them for an afternoon snack. You get the picture…they’re pretty much fantastic any time of the day.
Keep these in mind as you look for quick breakfast treats to share with guests this holiday season. You could also package some up in a cute box with ribbon to take as a hostess gift!
- 5 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ⅓ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 12 oz tube Grands!®Jr. Golden Layers Butter Tastin' Biscuits
- 1 egg (for egg wash)
- Coarse sugar and cinnamon for sprinkling on top
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix your softened cream cheese, pumpkin, powdered sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice until creamy. Set aside.
- On a non-sticking baking sheet, press each biscuit out into a rectangle form, about 4 inches by 3 inches, being careful not to break a hole in the dough. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of the filling into the center of each biscuit. Fold the long sides in, overlapping the edges, then fold the ends under, pressing the seams just very gently to help them seal. Turn the pastries over, placing them seam-side down.
- Whisk an egg in a small bowl, then brush the tops of the pastries with egg wash. Sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar and cinnamon, if desired.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes. Serve immediately, or allow them to cool and refrigerate.