Use your sweet sourdough starter in this easy quick bread! Amish Friendship Zucchini Bread loaded with chocolate chips and topped with cinnamon sugar. Makes two loaves.
We picked our first garden zucchinis this past week. Although we love my grandma’s zucchini bread recipe, I had been wanting to try using my amish sourdough starter along with the zucchini in a new recipe.
Tweaking her recipe just slightly, we came up with this soft, lightly sweet loaf of bread that will use up two cups of zucchini, whether fresh from your garden or from the grocery store.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- a new way to use your sourdough starter
- use that abundance of garden zucchini!
- 15 minutes to the oven
- cinnamon sugar topping
- makes two loaves
What is Amish Friendship Bread Starter?
Amish friendship bread starter is a sweet sourdough (sometimes called Herman sourdough). Traditional sourdough starter isn’t sweet, but this one is.
Amish sourdough starter is a 10 day process so you’ll want to plan ahead. You can find the complete instructions in our sourdough guide.
Favorite Amish Friendship Recipes
We’ve got several ways to use this sweet sourdough that we know you’ll love:
How to Make Amish Friendship Zucchini Bread
This is your typical quick bread recipe. There’s no long waiting (except for baking time) and in about 15 minutes you’ll have the bread ready for the oven.
- Mix the bread batter. Mix the wet ingredients first to make sure the eggs are mixed in well. Then after you add the dry ingredients, mix just until combined. Then gently fold in the zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Top with a cinnamon sugar mixture. This just adds a subtle sweetness to the top of the bread. You can skip it if you’d like but we highly recommend it!
- This will bake for 60-70 minutes. Sometimes it is tricky to know if quick bread is done all the way through or not. If you have an internal probe thermometer, the internal temperature should be 190 degrees Fahrenheit.
**We LOVE our Thermoworks ThermaPen to quickly water and bread temperatures. This probe thermometer is AMAZING. Get it here.**
Can you make this bread without the sourdough? We’ve not tried it, but it definitely would be a different texture and flavor if it did work.
Can you make this bread with traditional sourdough? Yes, it would most likely work to make this bread with 100% hydration sourdough starter. The starter would not have to be active and bubbly for this recipe since it has other leavening agents. You may want to add another 1/4 cup sugar since to make up for the lack of sugar in the starter if you choose this route.
How to Store Quick Bread
This bread is safe to store at room temperature in an airtight container for 3-4 days. You can also freeze it. It will stay moist and delicious in the freezer for up to 6 weeks. Wrap the cooled loaf in plastic wrap, then place it in a zippered bag or other airtight container to freeze.
When you are ready to serve it, allow it to come to room temperature before opening the package to keep it fresh.
Amish Friendship Zucchini Bread
For the bread:
- 3/4 cup oil (canola or vegetable oil)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup Amish Friendship Bread Starter
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture:
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, eggs, vanilla, sugar and starter. Mix well.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Mix just until combined.
- Fold in the shredded zucchini and mini chocolate chips.
- Spray 2 loaf pans with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter evenly into the pans.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the batter.
- Bake for 60-70 mins or until the a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean. Internal temperature should be 190 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cool until the bread loosens from the pan evenly and turn onto a serving dish or wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.