Melt-in-your-mouth, cream cheese cinnamon roll icing is the perfect topping for your family’s homemade cinnamon roll recipe. It’s also delicious drizzled on cookies or coffee cakes.
Our homemade cinnamon rolls have quickly risen to be our top post of 2017. It was a recipe the girls were hesitant to share, but they are so glad they did! It’s exciting to see you all making these rolls and sharing your successes with the recipe that we know and love.
Although we love our cinnamon rolls (so much that we made GIANT cinnamon rolls), we know many of you have your own family recipes that you can’t part with. If you’re looking for an easy cinnamon roll frosting to top your own cinnamon bun recipe or store-bought cinnamon buns, this cream cheese icing for cinnamon rolls is the answer.
How to Make Cinnamon Roll Icing
Our favorite cinnamon roll frosting is a simple blend of cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and flavoring. These four ingredients blend together to be melt-in-your-mouth, sweet perfection.
The most important tip for this easy cinnamon roll frosting is to be sure the butter and cream cheese are softened at room temperature, but not melted. This will give your frosting the best creamy texture.
Maple Frosting or Vanilla Frosting
We love to use maple extract in our cinnamon roll glaze, but if you’d like, you can use vanilla, or really any other flavoring you like best.
How Many Rolls Does This Recipe Frost?
This makes the ideal amount for a 9×13 pan of 12-15 cinnamon rolls. If you prefer just a drizzling of frosting, it will of course cover more. If you end up with leftover frosting, it freezes well.
Tools to Make Cinnamon Roll Frosting
- Hand mixer: I don’t pull out my stand mixer for this recipe. It makes a small amount so a hand mixer works perfectly.
- Maple Extract: Our favorite flavoring!
Cinnamon Roll Icing
- 6 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1/3 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon maple extract (or vanilla)
- In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and butter using a hand mixer. Blend well.
- Add in your favorite extract and the powdered sugar. Beat until combined.
- Spread the frosting over the cooled rolls.
- Store any leftover frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator.