A classic Amish recipe. Just 7 ingredients in this easy skillet meatloaf with the tangy flavor of barbecue sauce. Decorate the top like a wagon wheel!
Easy Skillet Meatloaf Recipe
It’s been a busy season of life. One of those seasons where I have to remind myself to just breathe. Everytime I sigh in relief that there is a task crossed off my list, another one comes up.
Don’t get me wrong. I like to be busy. And most of what keeps me busy, I love.
Husband. Kids. Track meets. Friends. Church family. Photography. Food.
With the busyness of the spring track season, I just have to be OK with letting some things go undone. Other things, like family dinners, honestly need to be pushed up to a higher priority than they are now. I struggle lately with getting dinner on the table. And this skillet meatloaf recipe is one solution to a busy-evening-what’s-for-dinner problem.
The base of this recipe is ground beef. You’ll want to use a lean ground beef for this recipe since the fat will not have anywhere to drain off. I like to use 90% lean ground sirloin. Add some barbecue sauce, dry bread crumbs, eggs, onion, pepper and salt.
My kids would actually prefer if I left out the green peppers and onions. Would your kids prefer the same? Sometimes I put them in and sometimes I leave them out. Either way works!
Mix the beef mixture well, then press it into an 8″ cast iron skillet that you’ve sprayed with cooking spray.
Make your wagon wheel spoke design with barbecue sauce, if you’d like.
The skillet meatloaf recipe called for a light sprinkling of brown sugar on top before baking. At first I thought it sounded strange, but only for a split second. I knew that brown sugar would lightly bake into the top and really deepen the flavor.
You’ll bake the meatloaf for 50 minutes at 325 degrees. It does take some time to bake, but here’s a hint for a time saver. Make up the meatloaf earlier in the day and keep it in the fridge. Pull it out when you are ready to bake it. Then you have time to prepare a quick salad or steamed veggies to go along as a side dish.
What do we love with this easy skillet meatloaf?
Q: What’s your favorite way to make meatloaf?
Easy Skillet Meatloaf
- 2 pounds lean ground sirloin (preferably 90% lean)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 large beaten eggs
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Additional barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine the ground sirloin, barbecue sauce, bread crumbs, eggs, onion, pepper and salt. Mix well.
- Spray an 8" cast iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Press the beef mixture into the prepared skillet.
- Using the barbecue sauce, make "spokes" on the top of the meat.
- Sprinkle brown sugar over the top of the meat.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until it is cooked through (160 degrees internal temperature).
- Serve warm.