Make Mexican meatloaf, then use the leftovers to create Mexican meatloaf sandwiches that will give you a protein-packed lunch.
Thanks to the Ohio Beef Council for sponsoring this recipe and reminding us of the health benefits of beef. As always, all opinions are my own.
Mexican Meatloaf Sandwiches
There are two kinds of people in the world. Meatloaf haters and meatloaf lovers. I fall into the first category. And thankfully my family does too.
If you fall into the second category, my goal is to convince you that you do in fact need meatloaf in your life. This is not your grandma’s meatloaf (although my grandma’s meatloaf was delicious).
It’s a Mexican meatloaf made with lean ground beef, Colby cheese, red onions, green peppers and spicy seasonings.
Make it into Mexican meatloaf sandwiches.
I mean really, who wouldn’t like to see this in their lunch bag?
Thickly sliced rustic bread, topped with a generous portion of meatloaf. I cut our meatloaf into 8 slices to get 8 sandwiches, but you can cut them thicker or thinner depending on the size of bread and appetite you have.
Add a slice of Colby cheese and a sprinkling of fresh salsa, then place the second piece of bread on top for a protein-filled, healthy lunch solution!
My husband and children give the goofy, evil laugh when they see this meatloaf sandwich on their lunch plate. It just makes him happy. Which in turn makes this girl happy!
What do you think? Do you think you could set aside your preconceived notions about meatloaf to fill you lunch bag with this 21st-century Mexican meatloaf sandwich?
Other Mexican Recipes
- 2 pounds lean ground beef at least 85% lean
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 `cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 16 slices bread
- 8 slices sliced colby cheese
- 2 cups fresh salsa
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine all of the meatloaf ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf baking pan with cooking spray.
- Press the beef mixture into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until the internal temperature reads 160 degrees.
- Once the meatloaf has cooled, slice the meatloaf.
- To make the sandwiches, place a slice of meatloaf on a piece of bread. Top with cheese and fresh salsa. Place a second piece of bread on the top.
- Serve immediately.
*If you'd like, you can drizzle taco sauce on the meatloaf for a dressing.