Chicken Nacho Cheesy Potatoes…Your favorite cheesy potato casserole gets an upgrade with shredded chicken, nacho cheese soup and crushed tortilla chips.
Long before I started blogging and before I even was a mom (12+ years ago) I was a youth counselor at our church here in Cincinnati, Ohio. I chaperoned numerous mission trips and fun camping trips (like a week in the Boundary Waters in Ely, Minnesota and a snow camping trip up in Petoskey, Michigan) with middle and high school age kids. It was so much fun, and I really miss it. Though the older I get, I don’t miss sleeping in a tent TOO much.
Our counselor Christmas parties were legendary and the food and drink were always plentiful. That’s where I first tasted “cheesy potatoes”. Apparently most of the country knows about this classic, comfort food dish that combines frozen hash brown potatoes, cream of (something) soup, melted butter and sour cream.
But 12+ years ago, the first time I tried them, I thought I’d discovered something really special and begged the counselor who’d brought them to our party for the recipe. Wow, how times have changed! Now I would just need to do a quick Google search for any recipe I could possibly think of.
Now that I’m a mom (with a 10 and a 12 year old) I tend to serve Mexican food a lot. It’s a family favorite. So I decided to take my over-a-decade-old recipe for cheesy potatoes and give it an upgrade. I added shredded rotisserie chicken to the potatoes to make it a main dish. And the sauce is a mixture of melted butter, taco seasoning, nacho cheese soup and sour cream. I topped it all with crushed tortilla chips and plenty of shredded cheddar cheese. My kids were in love with Chicken Nacho Cheesy Potatoes and I think you will be too!
And if you are a fan of all things cheese and potatoes, check out my recipe for Slow Cooker Cheesy Potatoes. They are great for a take-along dish. It’s so quick to throw together, always crowd-pleasing and stays warm wherever you go.
Chicken Nacho Cheesy Potatoes...Your favorite cheesy potato casserole gets an upgrade with the addition of shredded chicken, nacho cheese soup and crushed tortilla chips.
- 1 bag (32 oz) frozen cubed potatoes
- 1 rotisserie chicken (white meat shredded, dark meat reserved for another use)
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted butter , melted
- 1 can (10 oz) fiesta nacho cheese soup (Campbell's brand)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz . sharp cheddar cheese , shredded
- ½ cup tortilla chips , crushed
- Salsa to serve
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together the melted butter, nacho cheese soup, sour cream, taco seasoning, salt and half of the cheddar cheese.
- Add the frozen, cubed potatoes and the shredded white chicken to a large bowl. Add the nacho cheese soup mixture to the potatoes and chicken and mix until well-combined.
- Spray a 9x13 casserole dish with cooking spray. Evenly spread the potato and chicken mixture into the casserole dish.
- Top the casserole with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
- Serve the casserole immediately, topped with fresh salsa.