If there was a list of things that you should know about me and food, the first thing on the list would be that I REALLY LOVE peanut butter and chocolate. But right next to it would be that I LOVE tacos. They are one of my favorite meals. I can’t just have one favorite, right? This Homemade Taco Seasoning is definitely up on the top of the list.
Are you wanting something more than just a little packet from the store, but don’t want to waste your time on making taco seasoning for just one meal? You can make this Homemade Taco Seasoning easily and you can make a lot of it. This recipe makes about 1 1/2 cups and can be stored in an airtight container for 6 months. Use about 2-3 tablespoons for each pound of ground beef or chicken. Unless you may happen to like really spicy. Then you can add as much seasoning as you want.
My family likes tacos because you can get creative with them. Sometimes we put the meat in a hard shell or soft flour tortilla. Other times we eat it with tortilla chips. And sometimes, we make we make beef, rice and cheese burritos.
I, personally, like burritos. Or, if there are no tortillas on hand, I just throw together some rice, cheese, and taco meat into a bowl and heat it up for lunch.
What is your favorite way to use taco meat?
Here’s what my parents like to do: they will make a salad with taco meat and lettuce, then throw some Pico de Gallo on top. They think it’s great, but until I start liking tomatoes and peppers and stuff, I think I’ll stick with my beef, cheese and rice burrito.
Whip up a batch of this today and celebrate Cinco de Mayo with your favorite combination.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 1/4 cup ground cumin
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sea salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Mix all of the ingredients together. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- To make tacos: Brown 1 pound of ground beef in a skillet. Add 3 Tbsp. taco seasoning mix and 1/2 cup water. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Makes a little over 1 cup of seasoning.
Adapted from allrecipes.com