Take corn casserole to a new level with this Taco Corn Casserole Recipe. This cheesy casserole uses up leftover taco meat. Top with sour cream and fresh salsa.
Taco Corn Casserole Recipe
One of our favorite family recipes is corn casserole, so the past few months I’ve spent some time developing some alternative ways to enjoy the classic 5 ingredient corn casserole. Think not just side dish…but main dish recipes, meat included. Because we love Mexican flavored food, this taco corn casserole was born.
Leftover Taco Meat
Do you ever have leftover taco meat in the fridge? Honestly, we rarely do. The kids DEVOUR tacos, so if we do have a little bit of taco beef leftover, it won’t last more than a day. If you’re lucky enough to have leftovers, that makes this recipe extra easy. Just use about a pound of taco meat (maybe 1 1/2 cups?).
How to Make Taco Casserole
This recipe is literally dump, mix and put in a pan to bake.
- Be sure to drain the can of whole kernel corn (not the creamed corn) and the green chilies.
- Use jalapeno peppers instead of or in addition to the green chiles if you’re looking for spice.
- We like to use cheddar cheese, but you can use a Mexican cheese blend if you’d like.
- This casserole will take about 60-70 minutes to bake if using a square 9×9 baking dish or 45-50 minutes in a 9×13 baking pan. It should be slightly puffy and totally set in the center.
Can I make taco casserole ahead of time?
Yes! You can mix the ingredients for this casserole together, spread it in the baking pan, then cover and refrigerate until you want to bake it. Remove the casserole from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking so the chill comes off.
Can I make taco casserole in the slow cooker?
Yes! Simply spray the liner of the slow cooker with cooking spray, then add the corn mixture to the slow cooker. Set on low and bake until the center is set. It should take about 4-6 hours.
What to Serve on Taco Casserole
What to Serve with Taco Casserole
We like to serve a simple side salad with this casserole. You could also serve green beans, tortilla chips or refried beans.
Other Corn Casserole Recipes
Taco Corn Casserole
- 1 pound taco seasoned ground beef (either leftover meat or beef cooked specifically for this purpose)
- 8 ounces Jiffy Corn Muffin mix (1 box)
- 15 ounces whole kernel corn (drained)
- 15 ounces creamed corn (not drained)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced green chilies (drained)
- pico de gallo
- sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients together and pour into a greased 9x9" or 9x13" baking pan. (NOTE: Ours fit in an 9" baking pan with deep sides. This casserole WILL expand slightly while baking so if you are afraid of it spilling over or want it to bake more quickly, use a 9x13 baking pan. Baking time will change if you use a different pan.)
- This casserole will take about 60-70 minutes to bake if using a square 9x9 baking dish or 45-50 minutes in a 9x13 baking pan. Bake until lightly browned and set in the center. (The exact time will depend on the pan you use so watch it closely. The center should not be jiggly. If it is a deep casserole it will take longer to bake.)
- Serve immediately with fresh salsa and a dollop of sour cream.