Taco night dinner has never been easier! Easy Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos are bursting with flavor. Make the slow cooker or the Instant Pot! You may also love our pork carnitas.
Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos
Back to school time is coming like a hurricane and it’s time to start planning those easy weeknight dinners. If you’re like us, between sports, school and family activities, life gets crazy this time of year. These Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos are a lifesaver…and a recipe the whole family loves.
What is the difference between salsa and salsa verde?
Salsa verde is a green salsa generally made from tomatillos, white onions, jalapenos and cilantro (along with other seasonings). Traditional salsa is red and tomato based. Although I’m newer to salsa verde (because let’s face it…green food is sometimes weird!), I’ve found that our family loves it. Often times salsa verde can be spicier than traditional salsa, but we’ve found different heat levels in the store, so be sure to grab the level of spicy that your family prefers.
How to Make Shredded Chicken Tacos
We’ve prepared this recipe in the Instant Pot, but it can be done in the slow cooker also. For either version, it’s important to plan ahead and make sure you have chicken and salsa verde on hand, plus tortilla shells and taco toppings such as cheese, sour cream, tomato and lettuce.
Shredded Chicken in the Instant Pot
To make the salsa verde chicken tacos in the Instant Pot, you’ll first season the chicken, then brown it using the “saute” feature of the Instant Pot. Once you’ve browned the chicken, add the salsa verde, seal the Instant Pot and then set it to low pressure for 15 minutes. Allow the pot to depressurize naturally for 10 minutes, then open the pot, shred the chicken and turn the pot to “saute” (lid off) again so that the chicken can simmer and soak up some of the juices. This makes the juiciest chicken!
At this point, you are ready to make your tacos.
Shredded Chicken in the Slow Cooker
Although the Instant Pot is handy for last-minute meals, we still love our slow cooker. To make slow cooker salsa verde chicken tacos, season the chicken and brown it in a hot skillet on all sides. Then place the chicken on low, add the salsa verde and allow it to cook for 4-5 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low until the chicken shreds easily. The exact timing will depend on how big the chicken breasts are.
Shred the chicken and serve up the tacos!
What to Serve with Tacos
Here are some of our favorite side dishes:
Need an Instant Pot? Click here to see the one we have.
Taco night dinner has never been easier! Easy Salsa Verde Chicken Tacos are bursting with flavor. Make the slow cooker or the Instant Pot!
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups salsa verde
- corn tortillas
- diced red onion
- diced tomatoes
- lime wedges
In a small bowl mix together the chili powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Liberally season both side of the chicken breast with the prepared seasoning.
- Turn the Instant Pot on the ‘Sauté’ mode. Add the olive oil and let it heat up for a minute.
- Add the chicken breasts and let it cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side or until both sides gets a golden sear.
Add the salsa verde.
- Turn off “Sauté” mode. Put the lid on, making sure that the pressure valve is in the “Sealing” position.
- Select the “Pressure Cook” mode. Adjust the ‘Pressure Level’ to “low” and adjust the time, with the “- / +” to 15 minutes.
- When Instant Pot beeps, let the pressure release the natural way for 10 minutes and then using a thick tea towel, turn the pressure valve to “Venting” position to do the quick release.
- Using two forks or even an electric mixer, shredded the chicken in the pot itself.
- Turn on the on the ‘Sauté’ mode for 5 minutes and let shredded chicken soak up the liquid. Serve immediately.
- Warm the corn tortilla in the microwave for 15 seconds.
- Pile about two tablespoons of Salsa Verde Chicken on each taco shell. Top with chopped red onion, tomatoes, jalapeno slices, cilantro and a big squeeze of lime juice.
To speed up the serving process, chop and prep the toppings and the garnishes, while the chicken is cooking in the instant pot. Warm the tortillas and cover them in foil to keep warm.
The calories shown are based on the recipe making 6 servings. The calories shown are only for the chicken. Calculate the remaining calories based on what you serve on your tacos. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.