Use crushed tortilla chips and leftover taco meat for this simple Tortilla Chip Mexican Pizza. Serve with fresh salsa and a dollop of sour cream for a quick family meal.
Our family had so much taco meat leftover from our Taco Tuesday night. I’m not a huge fan of leftovers, and even though I love tacos, eating the leftover meat can be a chore.
When the kids were little, their grandma made what she called Tortilla Chip Mexican Pizza or AKA Baked Nachos. It’s a great “leftovers recipe” I think you’ll love it as much as we do.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- the delicious crunch of the tortilla chips
- the unforgettable taco seasoning
- the gooey cheese topping
- only about 5 minutes bake time
- an easy weeknight dinner
I don’t like wasting food, so I’m always creating recipes that use up little bits and pieces of ingredients we have in the pantry. I save the crumbs from the tortilla chip bags and always keep the small amounts of taco meat we have leftover from taco night. When we have enough of each, I make this easy mexican pizza.
How to Make Mexican Pizza with Tortilla Chips
- If you are making this from scratch, brown up some ground beef with your favorite taco seasoning. If you don’t have a favorite taco seasoning, you can try out our Homemade Taco Seasoning. Add an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce to the taco meat and heat through. The sauce helps the meat “stick” to the chips.
- Cover a pizza pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. This will make for an easy cleanup.
- Gather some crushed tortilla chips. You do not want them smooshed into tortilla-chip dust. You can kind of tell in my pictures that you want a nice bite size. Spread 1/2 the bag of tortilla chips on the covered pan and save the rest for later.
- On top of the tortilla chips, spread half the taco meat, then sprinkle on 2 cups of cheese. Then, use the other half of the tortilla chips, the rest of the taco meat (are you seeing a pattern here?) , and the remaining two cups of cheese. Plus a little more for good measure if you are a cheese lover like me!
- Broil on high for about 5 to 6 minutes. Watch it closely so it doesn’t burn.
Mexican Pizza Toppings
Tortilla Chip Mexican Pizza
- 11 ounces tortilla chips slightly crushed
- 2 pounds ground beef browned
- 2 taco seasoning packets (about 5 tablespoons taco seasoning)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown and crumble the ground beef. Drain off any fat.
- Add the taco seasoning according to packet directions. Add tomato sauce and heat through.
- Cover an 11×17" rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Layer half the tortilla chips, half of the ground beef mixture, and half the cheese.
- Repeat layers.
- Broil on low for 5-6 minutes, watching closely, until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with your favorite taco toppings.
This was originally published on May 9, 2013 and updated on March 16, 2021.
What to Serve with Mexican Pizza
Want to make this into a complete meal? Try one of these side dishes.
Adapted from my Grandma’s recipe, which was adapted from Allrecipes.com