Bring this Patriotic Easy Layered Taco Dip to your next summer picnic! It’s a quick and easy side dish that you don’t have to bake. Serve with tortilla chips.
You’re going to love this easy layered taco dip that is perfect for summer picnics. Don’t you love getting creative with your food? Stuffing brownies with Oreos, turning potatoes into pizza, and little veggie blossoms.
One place where I know I can always be inspired with cute food ideas is Pinterest. Before I had this food blog, I loved searching Pinterest for ideas, but didn’t have an account. I’ve had an account now for 3 years and have pinned so many recipes that I will most likely never get the chance to make.
But this easy layered taco dip is one I had to try!
Easy Cold Taco Dip
You’re going to love this Patriotic Easy Layered Taco Dip, too, because it is yet another quick, easy side dish that doesn’t involve turning on your oven. Who wants to turn on your oven in the summertime anyway? And isn’t the American flag look so cute?
Unless, of course it is to make this Potato Chip Chocolate Pie!
How to Make Patriotic Taco Dip
For this recipe, you’re going to first spread some sour cream on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Then you’ll sprinkle some taco seasoning on top. Remember our Homemade Taco Seasoning that you made a big batch of? This is yet another great use of it.
After the taco seasoning, you’ll layer on a few black beans and some lettuce. Then you get to make the pretty flag design with cheese, sliced olives, and halved grape tomatoes.
And so festive!
Taco Dip Variations
There are several variations you can do to make this taco dip your own.
- Don’t like beans? Leave them out.
- Want some meat in it? Add the taco seasoning to some ground beef or shredded chicken. If you do this, I suggest putting the meat on the bottom of the pan, then start the layers with the sour cream next.
Can I make taco dip ahead of time?
I would suggest not making this too much ahead of time. I ended up a with a little bit of water on the bottom of the pan, possibly from washing the veggies right before putting it together. So you’ll want to dry your veggies really well, and don’t let it sit too long before serving.
Want to watch us make this easy layered taco dip LIVE? See the video here!
How long does taco dip last?
If you’ve dried the veggies really well before layering the dip, this will last a day or two. If you end up with a little water in the dish, you can drain it off before serving.
Be sure to refrigerate any leftovers!
Other Mexican Dip Recipes
Easy Layered Taco Dip
- 3 cups sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup black beans washed and rinsed
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup sliced olives
- In the bottom of a 9x13 pan, spread the sour cream.
- Then sprinkle the taco seasoning and black beans on top of the sour cream.
- Spread the lettuce over top of the beans.
- Lay out the halved tomatoes in lines to form a flag.
- Put cheese between the tomato stripes, and then put the sliced olives in the top left corner to look like stars.
- Serve with tortilla chips or veggies.
- Serve as soon as possible after making this. It tends to get watery the longer it sits. It should be OK for a few hours, though.
Recipe Inspiration: Family Fresh Meals