Firecracker Chicken Nachos pack a flavor punch with spicy buffalo sauce and sweet chili sauce. Slow cook the chicken a day in advance for quick, 15 minute meal on those busy evenings.
Firecracker Chicken Nachos Recipe
Today I have the honor of helping my friend Kelly from Life Made Sweeter celebrate the launch of her new cookbook, The Asian Slow Cooker. If you love Asian food, slow cooker recipes, or just enjoy browsing gorgeous food photography, this cookbook is for you!
It was hard to choose between the soups, take-out copycat recipes, and even dessert recipes, but these Firecracker Chicken Nachos won me over and I just had to share the with you. There’s something about the flavors of cheese, cilantro, tortillas, and sweet chili sauce that I just can’t resist.
To make these Firecracker Chicken Nachos a quick dinner recipe, I slow cooked the chicken a day in advance. You’ll love the sweet & fiery chicken flavored with buffalo sauce and Thai sweet chili sauce. Simply slow cook the chicken for 3-4 hours or until it is fork-tender. If you’re preparing it the day before, store the chicken and sauce in the refrigerator until you are ready to make the nachos.
The firecracker chicken nachos reminded me of our tortilla chip pizza that we often make. While that nacho bake has more of a traditional taco flavor, these nachos have a sweet & spicy flavor. Think salty tortilla chips layered with melted cheese and sweet & spicy chicken.
And that marinated cabbage? It wouldn’t normally be a topping I’d normally think to put on chicken nachos, but don’t skip it. That sweet “pickled” flavor of the cabbage really punched up the flavor. The kids didn’t even pick off the cabbage.
That’s a win.
Be sure to drizzle the top of the nachos with the extra buffalo chili sauce that you cooked the chicken in.
Mmm…..We have a new nacho-love in our house.
And you definitely need this cookbook!
Firecracker Chicken Nachos
- 1/2 cup vinegar 118 ml
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar 18 g
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots 10 g
- 1/2 cup shredded red cabbage 50 g
- 1/2 cup shredded Napa cabbage 50 g
- 3/4 cup buffalo sauce 177 ml
- 1/3 cup Thai sweet chili sauce 75 g
- 3 tablespoons honey 63 g
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce 15 ml
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes to taste
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs 683 g
- 1 bag restaurant-style tortilla chips 13 ounces
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese 113 g
- 1 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese 113 g
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapenos 17 g
- 1 green onion sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup freshly snipped cilantro leaves 20 g
- lime wedges for serving
- In a medium, sealable bowl, combine the vinegar, sugar and salt, then add the carrots and cabbage. Cover the bowl and store in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the nachos.
- Combine the buffalo sauce, sweet chili sauce, honey, soy sauce and red pepper flakes in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Nestle the chicken in the middle, then coat with some of the sauce.
- Cook on low for 3-4 hours.
- Transfer to a cutting board and shred with two forks. Reserve the sauce for drizzling over the completed nachos.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. Arrange half of the chips on the prepared sheet and top with half of the shredded chicken, then layer with half of each cheese.
- Top with another layer of chips and repeat the toppings.
- Broil or bake in the oven until the cheese is melted and bubbling, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the tray from the oven and top with the jalapenos, green onions, marinated cabbage and fresh cilantro.
- Drizzle with the remaining marinade sauce from the chicken.
- Serve immediately with lime wedges.