The best homemade buffalo sauce recipe. Made just as you like it with the right amount of spice. Perfect for buffalo wings, pulled pork, burgers and chicken fingers.
Homemade Buffalo Sauce Recipe
Over the past week I’ve been whipping up my husband’s love language. All things buffalo.
Matt pours buffalo sauce over everything. Pulled pork. Wings. Burgers. Potatoes. Popcorn. Salad. You name name the food and he’s probably put his favorite sauce on it.
He’s perfectly content with his store-bought sauce but I wanted to see what he thought of a homemade sauce. His reaction after these buffalo wings? He was in love. With the sauce itself and me for making the sauce. The homemade buffalo sauce allowed him to control the amount of spice for what he was feeling at the moment. And the rich buttery flavor? Delicious.
Where Does Buffalo Sauce Get Its Name?
Rumor has it that buffalo wings were first served in a restaurant in Buffalo, NY, created by the owner. Pretty amazing that her special sauce became something that millions love so much!
What is Buffalo Sauce Made Of?
Traditional sauce is made of cayenne pepper sauce (we used Frank’s RedHot), butter (to cool down the hot sauce a little), vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and spice. My favorite ingredient? Butter. 🙂
How to Make Buffalo Sauce
This spicy sauce is really easy to make. You’ll simple add the ingredients to a saucepan and allow the butter to melt over medium heat. When the sauce starts to simmer, remove the pan from the stovetop and allow it to cool. In less than 15 minutes you’ll be ready to dip, dip, dip!
Storing Homemade Wing Sauce
This recipe makes enough to cover 5 pounds of wings with several layers of sauce and then still have sauce leftover for dipping. Be sure to cover and refrigerate any leftovers. If the sauce separates and becomes “chunky”, it’s just from the butter hardening. All it takes is a minute in the microwave to soften that butter and make a smooth sauce again.
What Goes with Buffalo Sauce?
- Buffalo Wings (of course!)
- Chicken Fingers (this is a gluten free recipe and is great for paleo diets!)
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- Smashed Potatoes
- Buffalo Chicken Pinwheels
Buffalo Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/3 cup Frank's red hot sauce
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- salt to taste
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the hot sauce, butter, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, garlic powder and paprika.
- Whisk often as the butter melts and allow the mixture to come to a simmer.
- Once the sauce comes to a simmer, remove the pan from the heat.
- Allow the sauce to cool slightly. Add a dash or two of salt, to taste.
- The sauce will thicken as it cools. Whisk the sauce before serving over wings, on pulled pork or as a dipping sauce.
- Refrigerate any leftovers. As you refrigerate the mixture, some of the butter may separate and harden. Simply reheat the mixture on the stovetop or microwave to make the sauce smooth again.
- This mixture makes enough to cover 5 pounds of wings and have extra for dipping. Yields about 3 cups of sauce.
Recipe slightly adapted from Allrecipes.com