If you’re looking for a new chicken wing recipe, try these Blueberry BBQ chicken wings. Make them tender in the Instant Pot, then crisp them up in the oven.
It had been awhile since we’d served up chicken wings (remember our favorite baked chicken wings?). It was time to try something new. Fresh blueberries on sale in the store got me craving a savory barbecue dinner.
So often we use fresh blueberries in crumble bars, coffee cakes, breads and pies, but why not use blueberries in something a little more savory? This easy barbecue sauce will give a gorgeous look and amazing new flavor to traditional chicken wings.
What is the difference between a chicken wing and a buffalo wing?
So many times when we mention chicken wings, people automatically think of buffalo wings. Buffalo wings are a type of chicken wings. They are chicken wings that are usually fried (or baked for a healthier version), then doused in buffalo sauce. So chicken wings are just…well..plain chicken and you put any topping or sauce you want on them.
Are chicken wings bad for you?
If chicken wings are fried or breaded, they can be high in unnecessary fat. If you bake chicken wings or cook them in the Instant Pot, you can save a lot of calories. These wings have about 169 calories (with sauce) for 1 wing. That makes them a great high protein snack, appetizer or main dish. Use less sauce for less calories.
Instant Pot Chicken Wings
When we cook chicken wings in the Instant Pot, we use a basket liner to keep them up and out of the water.
- Put one cup of water in the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place a basket (like this one but make sure it is the right size for your pot) to the IP.
- Add the chicken wings.
- Close the IP and set to sealing.
- Set to high pressure for 5 minutes.
- Then allow a natural release for 10 minutes. This gives the chicken wings more time to cook.
- Then flip the release valve and let it depressurize for another 5 minutes.
Then the wings are ready to get crispy in the oven!
Can I cook frozen wings in my Instant Pot?
Yes! Although we often buy fresh chicken wings, you can put frozen chicken wings in the Instant Pot, too. Set the IP to high pressure for about 12 minutes, then allow them to naturally depressurize for 5 minutes and then release the pressure completely.
Blueberry BBQ Sauce
Have you ever tried blueberry bbq sauce? It’s such a great combo! For this recipe, use your favorite bbq sauce. This could be Sweet Baby Ray’s (which is our go-to quick bbq fix) or our homemade bbq sauce. Whatever kind you like, simply blend it with fresh blueberries. It’s really that easy and adds such a unique texture and flavor.
How to Get Crispy Baked Chicken Wings
The key to crispy baked chicken wings is to place them under the broiler after you’ve cooked them in the Instant Pot. Place them in a single layer on a baking sheet. Brush the wings with BBQ sauce and set the broiler to high. Broil for 2-3 minutes on each side. WATCH THEM CLOSELY! Food under the broiler can burn very quickly. You’ll want to stand right by the oven and check them often. If it seems like they are cooking too quickly, set the broiler to low heat.
**Pro Tip: You generally want to move the oven rack up when cooking food under the broiler. You want the top of the food to be no closer than 3-4 inches from the top heating element.**
What sides to make with chicken wings?
Although many times chicken wings are served as an appetizer, we like to make them for a main dish. So many different foods go with chicken wings! Try some potato salad, coleslaw, sweet potato fries, corn casserole and strawberry punch. Just think good ol’ comfort food!
Other Chicken Wings Recipes
Blueberry BBQ Chicken Wings
- 1 cup water
- 3 pounds fresh chicken wings
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
- 1/2 pint fresh blueberries (about 1 cup)
- In a large bowl, season the wings with lemon pepper seasoning, garlic powder and oregano.
- To your Instant Pot, insert a basket and a cup of water.
- Add wings to the basket.
- Close IP and set to sealing.
- Press manual high pressure for 5 minutes. Allow for a natural release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for 5 minutes.
- While the wings are cooking, make your sauce.
- Place the barbecue sauce and blueberries in a small blender and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
- When wings are done cooking, place them on a baking sheet. Brush the wings with the BBQ sauce.
- Set the oven broiler to high and broil the wings for 2-3 minutes on each side. Watch closely so the wings don't burn. You just want them to heat through and crisp up slightly.