Looking for a new way to cook ground beef? Try this comforting Impossible Cheeseburger Pie. It’s an easy dinner ready for the table in about 45 minutes.
There’s been a ground beef shortage in our area the past few weeks. I never knew how much I’d miss ground beef when it is hard to find!
I’m imagining that soon people will find themselves with freezers full of ground beef. Maybe they purchased too much, maybe they purchased a side of beef from a farm….but soon you all will be wanting new things to do with that ground beef.
I came across this recipe for Impossible Cheeseburger Pie in an old church cookbook and new I needed to share it with you. Just in case you remember your mom or grandma serving it and needed a taste of home.
What is Bisquick impossible pie?
Bisquick impossible cheeseburger pie is a classic recipe that was first shared on the back of a box of that famous biscuit mix. It’s a mixture of ground beef, cheese, eggs and bisquick mix to hold it all together.
Don’t have Bisquick on hand? Quickly make our homemade biscuit mix with just 4 pantry ingredients.
Here’s why we love Impossible Cheeseburger Pie
- It is comforting. This is old fashioned food that you grew up on.
- It uses pantry staples. Ground beef, cheese, eggs, biscuit mix.
- It is kid-friendly. Who doesn’t love cheeseburgers??
- Not many leftovers. When I make casseroles in a 9×13 baking pan, it takes us several days to eat it and the kids just get tired of it. This bakes in a 9″ pie plate so it makes a small batch.
- Ready in 45 minutes. Quick dinners are the best!
How to Make Impossible Cheeseburger Pie
- Bake. Preheat the oven to 400º Fahrenheit. Spray a 9″ round deep dish pie plate (or cake pan) with cooking spray.
- Brown. Using a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and the onions together until the beef is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain off any fat. Add in the minced garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Layer. Spread the beef mixture in the bottom of the prepared pie plate. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.
- Mix. In a small bowl, whisk together the Bisquick mix, milk and eggs. Pour evenly over the beef and cheese.
- Bake. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
How do you know when the beef pie is done? The middle of the pie should feel set and the top look golden brown. You can also insert a knife into the center of the pie and it should come out clean with no eggy-ness on it.
Can you make this gluten free?
Yes! Use gluten free Bisquick in order to make this gluten free. Use the same amounts and bake for the same time.
Variations on Impossible Pie
Although this easy dinner is a comforting classic, here are some fun variations:
- Mexican: Use 3 tablespoons of taco seasoning in the ground beef.
- Italian: Use 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning to the ground beef. Switch out the cheddar cheese for mozzarella cheese. Serve with a side of pizza sauce.
- Buffalo Chicken: Use ground chicken and add 1/2 packet of ranch seasoning mix and 1/4 cup of buffalo sauce. Make the rest of the recipe the same.
What to Serve with Cheeseburger Pie
This recipe goes great with:
- Side Salad: We love homemade caesar salads.
- Roasted Veggies: Like brussels sprouts!
- Potato Wedges: Make them in the air fryer.
- Fruit Salad: And one with sugared pecans makes the fruit extra special.
Old Fashioned Impossible Cheeseburger Pie
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Bisquick mix
- 1 cup milk
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 400º Fahrenheit. Spray a 9" round deep dish pie plate (or cake pan) with cooking spray.
- Using a skillet over medium heat, brown the ground beef and the onions together until the beef is no longer pink and the onions are translucent. Drain off any fat.
- Add in the minced garlic, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Spread the beef mixture in the bottom of the prepared pie plate. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Bisquick mix, milk and eggs.
- Pour evenly over the beef and cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the middle of the pie is set and the top is golden brown. A knife inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Serve immediately.