Enjoy a juicy cheeseburger…casserole-style! Your favorite cheeseburger toppings get baked into and sprinkled on top of this Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole. A family-friendly recipe your kids will love!
Hamburger Tater Tot Casserole
I love a good cheeseburger. When the days are cooler, I crave that grilled burger flavor. This cheeseburger tater tot casserole with ground beef, cheese and potatoes cures my cravings…and makes my kids smile every time.
How to Make Tater Tot Casserole
This recipe takes about 20 minutes to put together and about an hour to bake.
Choose your favorite ground beef. I like to purchase at least 85% lean beef to cut down on fat content. You can even use ground turkey or ground chicken if you’d like. Brown the ground beef and drain off any fat.
You’ll add some favorite hamburger sauces to the browned meat…ketchup, two kinds of mustard and barbecue sauce. Mixing the other flavors in with the ketchup tones down the ketchup flavor and makes this casserole recipe savory and mouthwatering.
Spread the meat in a 9×13 baking dish, then top with red onion and cheese. The onion is optional, and you can use a different type of cheese if you’d like. This recipe is highly versatile so get creative!
Top with tater tots (they can still be frozen) and pop it into an oven that you’ve heated to 350 degrees. One hour later and you’ll be diving into this tasty casserole!
Crockpot Tater Tot Casserole
If you’d like to make this cheeseburger tater tot casserole in the slow cooker, you can! Simply prep the meat as described, then place it in a slow cooker. Top with the onion, cheese and tater tots, then cover and slow cook on low for 6 hours or until heated through. The tater tots won’t be as crispy this way, but it is a way to make easy tater tot casserole!
Tater Tot Casserole Toppings
Just as you would add fresh vegetables and toppings to a burger, I like to add the same to the casserole after it has baked. Tomatoes, more onion, a little lettuce and dill pickles are a must. We’ve added avocado, bacon bits, and even sour cream.
More Casserole Recipes
Tools to Make This Recipe
- Cheese Grater: I 100% recommend grating fresh cheddar cheese for this recipe. This cheese grater makes it easier than ever!
- Cast Iron Skillet: My favorite skillet!
- Ground Beef Meat Chopper: I recently got one of these and don’t know how I lived without it!
- 9”x13” Baking Pan: One of my most used kitchen pans.
Cheeseburger Tater Tot Casserole
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 4 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 32 ounces frozen tater tots
- shredded lettuce
- diced tomatoes
- diced dill pickles
- bacon bits
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a skillet over medium heat, cook and crumble the ground beef until it is browned. Drain off any fat & remove from the heat.
- Add the ketchup, mustards, and barbecue sauce to the beef. Mix well.
- Spread the meat mixture in the bottom of a greased 9x13 baking pan.
- Sprinkle the chopped red onion over the meat.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese over the meat and onion.
- Line the top with tater tots.
- Bake, uncovered for 1 hour or until heated through.
- Top with your favorite burger toppings such as lettuce, tomato, pickle and bacon.