It wouldn’t be summer without a cold, refreshing glass of lemon ginger sweet tea! This recipe is made with fresh lemon and ginger for the most amazing flavor. Perfect for sipping on a hot day!
Technically, I live in the South. I reside just outside the Washington, D.C. metro area, here in Northern Virginia. We’ve lived here for about 6 years, and I’ve also spend a few summers during college living in the south, via Florida and North Carolina. I must say, the South is a very charming, warm and friendly place to live. However, one downside to living in the South is the oppressive humidity that comes with summer. With that being said, every good Southerner needs a great sweet tea recipe – I’ve got a good one for ya!
I did not grow up in the South. In fact, I was born, raised and attended college in the rural likes of South Dakota. There are many distinct similarities between the rural plains of South Dakota and the Southern state of Virginia, many of which include food, pie and the love of iced tea or here in the South it’s called “Sweet Tea.”
The very first time I had “sweet tea” in North Carolina, I could hardly choke down the sweetness. There are some that make their tea more like a combination of lemonade and tea, some prefer it sweet and syrup-like, and with or without lemon. I was raised on a strict unsweetened, no lemon, plain iced tea, so you can imagine my surprise when I drank down that Arnold Palmer-like glass of “sweet tea” in North Carolina. However, I’ve come to really enjoy the lemon and just a bit of sweet.
I’ve come up with a great recipe that includes fresh lemon and ginger for a wonderfully fresh, delicious glass of tea. The ginger brings a fresh, thirst-quenching flavor that pairs beautifully with the zesty lemon. When you add a bit of sugar, it’s a match made in drink-heaven!
Here’s the easy recipe for this wonderful Lemon Ginger Sweet Tea:
Lemon Ginger Sweet Tea
- 5-7 black tea bags more or less depending on how strong you like your tea
- 3 cups water
- 2 lemons sliced
- 1 small 1" piece of ginger-root peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- additional water
- In a microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup, microwave the 3 c. water and tea bags on high for about 3-4 minutes.
- Slice the lemons and ginger and add to a large 2 quart pitcher.
- Pour the water and tea bags over the lemons and ginger and let steep, until water returns to room temperature. Remove tea bags.
- Fill pitcher with water and stir in the sugar. Refrigerate until cold. Fill glasses with ice and pour tea into glasses. Garnish with additional lemon slices, if desired.
No matter where you live – if it’s hot this summer, you will love a fresh, delicious glass of this Lemon Ginger Sweet Tea. Perfect for sipping outdoors, preferably in a chair where you can put your feet up, relax and enjoy the long days of summer. Cheers! ~Erin