Oatmeal breakfast cookies with no white sugar are the perfect high protein way to start your day. Ready in under 30 minutes!
I’m a cookie monster. I could eat homemade cookies any time of day and have been known to do just that. And my family is the same. You’ll often find freshly baked chocolate chip cookies coming out of the oven around 9PM in the evening. So melty…so sweet and delicious.
And they are just as good warmed up the next morning. But what if there were a cookie that was loaded with get-you-going ingredients and no white or brown sugar? A cookie that would give you energy and keep you satisfied all morning?
My friends, meet the Loaded Oatmeal Breakfast Cookie.
What is a breakfast cookie?
Wait….cookies for breakfast? I hear you out there saying “I’m not so sure that’s legal.” First of all, you’re an adult. It’s legal. Trust me.
Second of all, breakfast cookies are loaded with many of the same ingredients as your favorite energy bars or oatmeal recipes. Ingredients that kick-start your body and keep it going til lunch.
Key ingredients our healthy breakfast cookies:
- old fashioned oats: full of heart healthy fiber
- peanut butter: creamy is best
- maple syrup: 100% pure syrup
- apple butter: homemade apple butter is excellent, but you can use store bought too
- mashed bananas
- dried cranberries
- sunflower seeds: or walnuts or pecans
- semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ground flax: rich in fatty omega-3’s and fiber
How to Make Breakfast Cookies
These cookies couldn’t be easier. 4 steps. No refrigeration. Ready in under 30 minutes.
- Mix. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients together
- Scoop. With a large ice cream scoop or ¼ cup measurer, scoop out cookie dough and place it on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Flatten. Flatten each cookie with a spoon. They do not flatten on their own, so they need to be flattened before baking.
- Bake. Bake for 15-18 min or until edges are slightly brown.
How can I tell when the cookies have finished baking?
The edges of the breakfast cookies should be golden brown. The cookies should be soft in the middle but be firm on the outside.
Can I make any substitutions in this recipe?
The great thing about breakfast cookies is that you can mix and match ingredients depending on what you have in your pantry. Here are some substitution options:
- Change the peanut butter to almond or even cookie butter for a less healthy, sweeter option.
- Use honey instead of maple syrup. Be aware that by using honey it will no longer be vegan.
- Instead of chocolate chips you can add in raisins.
- You can use pumpkin seeds, almonds, walnuts, or pecans instead of sunflower seeds. The sky is the limit!
How do I store breakfast cookies?
Breakfast cookies can be stored in the refrigerator for 7-10 days. They also freeze very well! They can be frozen for up to 3 months. You can eat these cold or warm them in the microwave for 15 seconds before enjoying. This is a great option for a quick breakfast or mid-day snack!
Loaded Oatmeal Breakfast Cookies
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 1 cup banana mashed (~1 large banana)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup salted sunflower seeds
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup ground flax
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients together
- With a large ice cream scoop or ¼ cup measurer, scoop out cookie dough and place it on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Flatten each cookie with a spoon. They do not flatten on their own, so they need to be flattened before baking.
- Bake for 15-18 min or until edges are slightly brown.
Frequently Asked Questions
These cookies are gluten free as long as you are using certified gluten free oats. The oats in this recipe can either be old fashioned or instant oats- it doesn’t make a difference either way.
These cookies are naturally vegan, as long as you are using vegan chocolate chips. If you don’t have vegan chocolate chips, you can substitute them with raisins or leave them out completely.