An easy dinner idea for busy weeknights. This slow cooker honey soy chicken & broccoli is served over rice for a complete meal with delicious flavor.
I love my slow cooker. But somehow over the years with all of the new kitchen appliances (hello Instant Pot and air fryer), I forgot about using it.
My energy levels are highest in the morning, which means that’s when I need to think about dinner if I want to be sure to get it ready. Recipes like this easy Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken & Broccoli are a lifesaver!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- A unique slow cooker recipe.
- An easy honey-sweetened soy sauce.
- Uses chicken thighs which are an economical choice.
- Served simply with broccoli and rice.
Tips for Making Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken & Broccoli
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs are perfect for this recipe. They are slightly fattier than chicken breasts, so they stay juicy in the slow cooker. You can also use bone in thighs, but remove the skin to prevent too much fat in the sauce. You can also use chicken breast, but they won’t be as juicy as the thighs. You’ll have to adjust cooking time if using a different type of meat.
- I used sriracha sauce, but use a brand of hot sauce that you love the flavor of. Or you can just leave it out.
- Notice that you reserve 4 tablespoons of the sauce for a cornstarch slurry at the end of slow cooking. This cornstarch slurry will help to thicken the sauce slightly.
- You can use frozen broccoli florets that you’ve thawed, or use fresh broccoli. Either one works.
Can I make this in advance?
Yes, you totally can! This chicken will be good covered in the fridge for up to 2 days. Just reheat it in a pan or in the oven on low temperature when needed.
You can also freeze the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 6 weeks.
Can I double this recipe to feed a crowd?
Yes, easy. Just double or triple the ingredients and use a bigger crock pot. Cooking time will stay the same.
- Add other vegetables like bell pepper, mushrooms or onions.
- You can make it spicier by adding more hot sauce or chili powder.
- Works also with beef or pork but you might need to adjust cooking time.
Slow Cooker Honey Soy Chicken & Broccoli
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 6 thighs)
- ¾ cups chicken broth
- ⅓ cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons hot sauce optional
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- sesame seeds
- green onions sliced
- Pat dry the chicken thighs, remove excess fat if necessary and place them in a 4 quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, whisk the broth, soy sauce, oil, honey, garlic, hot sauce, and onion powder together.
- Set aside 4 tablespoons of the sauce mixture for making a slurry later and pour the rest over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch with the reserved sauce until smooth. Pour the mixture into the crockpot. Stir.
- Add broccoli florets, then stir again.
- Cover and cook again on high for 30 minutes.
- Adjust the sauce with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with rice and garnish with sesame seeds and sliced green onion.