These simple Vanilla Shortcake Muffins are the ultimate pairing with a cup of coffee. The muffins are flavored with sweet Italian creme creamer.
I have always loved waking up early in the morning. There’s something about those early morning hours that is refreshing and hopeful for a new day. When the kids were little, those early hours were the only quiet time in the day. If I got up before the kids got up, I felt like I had time to wake up before the lovely little ones started needing me for every little thing that little ones need their mommies for.
Even with the kids being older, I still love the morning. During that hour or so of quiet in the morning, I enjoy having a hot cup of coffee. I switched to decaf a couple of years ago out of necessity. This lady and caffeine don’t mix well. But that doesn’t stop me from wanting a hot cup of coffee with creamer each morning.
Last week I tried Coffee-mate’s Sweet Italian Creme creamer for the first time. This creamer was the perfect balance of creamy and sweet. I loved how smooth it was! And I love a little sweet in the morning, so this creamer made my morning cup of coffee so much better.
I knew as soon as I tasted this Coffee-mate creamer that it would be so good baked into a muffin. After all, what goes better with a cup of sweet & creamy coffee than a muffin? I wanted to make a muffin that was simple and didn’t take away from the taste of the coffee that I was enjoying so much. These Vanilla Shortcake Muffins were the answer.
Think shortcake…think muffin…think vanilla…and then think of a sugary streusel on top. That is what you’ll get with these simple muffins. A sip of coffee…a bite of a muffin…you’ll look forward to waking up even if you are not a morning person.
Try Sweet Italian Creme or Original, Sweet Italian Creme and Extra Sweet & Creamy. No matter how you like your coffee, you’re sure to find your ideal creamer in this line-up!
Vanilla Shortcake Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Coffee-mate Sweet Italian Creme liquid creamer
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter (softened, but not melted)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt.
- In another bowl, combine the oil, vanilla, sugar, egg and creamer. Mix well.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Divide the batter among 12 muffin cups that have been lined with a cupcake liner.
- In a small bowl, mix together the ingredients for the topping until you have coarse crumbs.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon streusel topping on the top of each muffin.
- Bake the muffins for 5 minutes at 425 degrees, then, without opening the oven, lower the oven temperature to 375 degrees and bake for an additional 8-12 minutes. A toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin should come out clean.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls Collective and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.