Two of the best apple desserts in one! Apple Crumble Baked Apples have a cinnamon brown sugar oatmeal topping baked inside. Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Apple Crumble Baked Apples
Today we’re taking two of our favorite desserts…apple crumble and baked apples…and combining them into one easy dessert for fall. These make a special dessert that can easily be served individually for dinners and parties. They’re best served warm with ice cream and caramel sauce, of course!
What are the best apples for baked apples?
For this recipe, we used Honeycrisp apples. Jonagold, Winesap, Braeburn and Granny Smith are also great choices. Having an apple that is slightly tart will pair well with the sweet topping on the apples.
How do you make a baked apple?
- The first step in preparing baked apples is making the streusel. This streusel recipe starts with browned butter, which really deepens and intensifies the flavor. Brown the butter, then add the rest of the crumble ingredients.
- Wash and dry the apples. We used larger apples, cut them in half, then used a spoon to carve out the core.
- Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon and brown sugar, then stuff them with the apple crumble.
How long does it take to bake an apple in the oven?
This recipe works best if you cover the apples with foil first and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake the remainder of time. You want to bake the apples until they are soft. The exact timing will depend on how large the apples are, but plan for an additional 30 minutes of baking. Check the apples after 20 minutes and see how they are coming along.
Serve the apples with a scoop of ice cream and drizzle them with caramel. Serve them individually in cute little ramekins like these for an easy, small dessert.
Other Apple Recipes
- Apple Pie Bars
- Apple Fritter Bread
- Snickers Apple Salad
- Upside Down Apple Pie
- Caramel Apple Bread Pudding
Apple Crumble Baked Apples
For the Crumble Filling:
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ teaspoon allspice
For the Apples:
- 4 large apples
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- ¾ cup hot water
- caramel sauce & ice cream (for topping, optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Set aside a 9x13 dish to prepare after the filling is made.
Make the Crumble Filling:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter over medium low heat until it’s bubbly and a dark brown color. Pour the butter into a medium sized bowl and mix with the vanilla extract, ½ cup brown sugar, flour, oats, and allspice. Set aside.
Prepare the apples:
- Slice each apple in half and remove the stems. Using a spoon, scoop out the core of each apple.
- Pour the hot water into the bottom of your 9x13 pan and place the apples inside, with the cut side up.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and cinnamon all across the apples. Then, stuff each apple half with the filling mixture. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 35 minutes.
- Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.