Apple Oatmeal Bars are an easy apple dessert recipe. Apple slices are stuffed between a soft, buttery, brown sugar and oatmeal crust and topping. One of the best apple recipes to make during the fall apple picking season!
It’s August!! Yay!! And Yikes!
Why the Yikes? School is starting soon. I know for many of you that means sending your kids back to school and you are rejoicing and anxiously awaiting a quieter house.
For this girl, it means I have to be ready to start homeschooling in just two weeks.
I love having my kids home and the opportunity to teach them is wonderful, but it’s a huge task. Just a tad overwhelming. Once we get started, it should be smooth sailing, but until then, I slightly panic.
But the Yay?
Apple season, of course! Fall colors, cooler temperatures and comforting apple dishes are all right around the corner.
And the list goes on. It’s this time of year that I look forward to getting back to a normal schedule, even if that means my workload doubles with school in session.
It’s all good.
Apple Oatmeal Bars are just the right way to kick off the fall baking season. It’s an easy recipe with three layers, but the top and bottom layers are the same. Crumbly brown sugar and oat goodness with apple slices baked in between.
What kind of apples are the best for baking?
I like to use Granny Smith in this apple oatmeal bars recipe. The tartness pairs so well with the sweetness in desserts, plus their texture holds up well when baked.
About 2 large apples of your favorite variety are all this recipe needs.
Even without the cinnamon, these simple apple oatmeal bars made my house smell amazing while they baked.
Who needs a Yankee candle when you can bake a delicious apple dessert and actually eat what’s making that smell? You’ll love the aroma that fills your house.
Apple Oatmeal Bars Serving Suggestions
These little apple oatmeal bars are fantastic when eaten fresh from the oven. Add a scoop of ice cream if you’d like.
They also freeze well. This makes them a great snack to have in the freezer for those school days that are not going well and just call for the medicine of a sweet snack. 🙂
Apple Oatmeal Bars
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1/2 cup cold butter cubed
- 2 large apples peeled and sliced thinly (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, brown sugar and oats. Using a pastry cutter, cut in the cold butter cubes until the mix resembles coarse crumbs.
- Spray an 11x7" (or 8x8") pan with cooking spray.
- Press half the crumbs in the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Arrange the apple slices on top of the pressed crumbs.
- Sprinkle the white sugar on top of the apples, then drizzle the 2 tablespoons of melted butter over the sugar.
- Top with the remaining crumbs and press down gently on the top with your hand.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.
More Apple Desserts