Apple fritter bread is a simple quick bread stuffed with apples! This breakfast bread has an apple streusel inside and on top. Don’t forget the powdered sugar glaze. It’s one of our best apple recipes to make for the apple picking season! You may also love our glazed coconut bread.
You all know I’m a sucker for quick breads. This apple fritter quick bread is over the top fantastic and beats all other breads. It’s stuffed with apples and streusel, drizzled with glaze and tastes like autumn.
What apples are best for baking?
Granny Smith are often thought of as the perfect baking apple. They hold up well in during baking and don’t turn to mush. Their tart flavor normally goes so well with a sweet dessert. If you can’t find Granny Smith, try Jonagold, Braeburn or Honeycrisp apples.
Why is it called a quick bread?
Quick breads are made with leavening agents such as baking powder or baking soda instead of yeast. You mix up the dough and bake it right away instead of having to wait for the bread to rise. They are also normally “quick” to mix up, although the often take close to an hour to bake.
How to Make Apple Fritter Bread
This apple bread starts with apples of course! Peel, core and chop three medium-size apples. Can you leave the peels on? If you’d like, but we prefer the peels off so that the texture stays consistent. I don’t like peels in my bread so I highly recommend taking the time to peel the apples. Mix the apples with a little sugar and cinnamon, then add walnuts if you’d like.
When you mix up the bread, it is important to remember to not overmix the quick bread batter. The batter mixes together best if you use room temperature eggs and softened butter. You can even warm the milk to take the chill off.
Layer half of the batter, then half of the apple streusel, then the remaining batter and topped with streusel. You’re ready to bake!
Powdered Sugar Glaze
Because glaze is always a good idea, we drizzled a simple glaze made of powdered sugar and heavy cream overtop this bread. Be sure to wait until the bread is cool before you drizzle the glaze on or it will melt in. Which honestly isn’t a bad thing, but if you want the pretty white glaze look, wait until the bread is cool.
Other Apple Recipes
TOOLS TO MAKE Apple Fritter Bread
- 9×5 Loaf Pan: These are the pans I use for quick breads, yeast breads, fried mush and more!
- Ninja Express Chop: Mini food processor, for finely dicing strawberries. This is one of my most-used kitchen tools!
Apple Fritter Bread
- 1 1/2 cups chopped apples (peeled, cored and diced)
Cinnamon Sugar Mixture:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup crushed walnuts (optional)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ cup milk
For the Glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- Peel and dice the apples into small pieces.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon. Add in nuts if you'd like. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the granulated sugar and butter together until creamy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla, then mix until combined.
- Add in the flour and baking powder alternately with the milk and mix just until combined. Do not overmix.
- Pour half of this mixture into your loaf pan and set aside the rest.
- Sprinkle 1/2 of the apples on top of the first layer of batter. Sprinkle half of the sugar mixture over the apples.
- Spoon the remaining loaf batter on top of the apple layer.
- Top the loaf with the remaining apples and sugar mixture.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan and then cool completely on a wire rack before glazing. **The exact baking time will depend on the type and size of baking pan you have. Check the bread after 40 minutes and then every 5 minutes after until the bread tests done.
For the glaze:
- In a small bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and heavy cream. Then, drizzle all over the top of your finished bread.
- Store the bread in an airtight container.
The calories shown are based on the bread being cut into 10 slices, with 1 serving being 1 slice of bread. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.