Big, bakery style Apple Butter Streusel Muffins have a layer of apple butter and crumb streusel, with an apple cider glaze on top. This is one of the best apple recipes for tender, fluffy muffins! You will love them topped with our homemade apple butter!
Apple Butter Streusel Muffins Recipe
Muffins are one of my many favorite morning breakfasts. I usually don’t get into a good mood on a weekday morning unless I have a muffin or pancake waiting for me when I get up. That doesn’t mean I always get my dream breakfast, but it will make my day if I do. I love waking up remembering there is a new “Lizzy T’s” muffin waiting for me to savor. Especially if it has apple butter and streusel.
How to Make Muffins
These Apple Butter Streusel Muffins are fairly easy- your normal homemade muffin recipe just jazzed up a bit. It’s flour, sugar, baking soda, an egg, milk, oil, cinnamon, and salt. They key to making amazing muffins is to be careful not to overmix the batter. You want to mix it just until it is combined so the muffins stay moist and tender.
Here’s al secret between you and me: When something is cinnamon flavored, I put in just a little more cinnamon than it calls for (such as in these apple dumplings). Nothing major, just a shake or two. Think of it as a cinnamon boost.
Apple Butter in Muffins
Where’s the apple butter? What I did was simply put in half the batter into the tin, then dropped on a teaspoon of apple butter and sprinkled some streusel over top, then repeated the layers and baked as usual. What do you get? A rich cinnamon streusel muffin with an exploding apple flavor wrapped inside. Amazing, right?
Streusel Topping for Muffins
The streusel you sprinkle on top of the apple butter streusel muffins is made of flour, cinnamon, sugar, walnuts, and butter. Use a fork or a knife to cut the streusel together until it resembles coarse crumbs. This sugary streusel is not only going inside the muffin but also on top!
Apple Cider Glaze
This two ingredient glaze is simply powdered sugar and apple cider. Whisk the two together until it is smooth and drizzle it over the muffins. If the muffins are warm, the glaze will sink in and make it taste almost like a donut.
Be sure to whip up a batch of this apple butter muffins recipe so you can start your day on a good note tomorrow.
What you need to make these bakery-style muffins:
Jumbo Muffin Pan: I like big muffins and I cannot lie. This is a non-stick pan so muffins come out easily!
Apple Butter: This is a great store-bought brand…or make your own homemade apple butter.
Pastry Cutter: I use this tool all the time. It cuts butter into flour perfectly for streusels, crusts and other pastries.
Saigon Cinnamon: This is our favorite cinnamon. You can’t beat its flavor!
Other Muffin Recipes
- Nutella Stuffed Banana Muffins
- Easy Cinnamon Muffins
- Raspberry Coconut Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Muffins
Big, bakery style Apple Butter Streusel Muffins have a layer of apple butter and crumb streusel, with an apple cider glaze on top.
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider or milk
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, mix the egg, milk, and oil. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not overmix!
- For the streusel, combine the flour, cinnamon, sugar and walnuts together. Cut in the softened butter until you have a crumbly mix and the butter is all mixed in.
- Spray jumbo muffin tins with cooking spray and spoon a heaping tablespoon of batter into the bottom of each cup. Put a tablespoon of apple butter over top the batter. Then sprinkle some streusel topping over the apple butter. Distribute the remaining muffin batter over each of the muffin cups equally. Sprinkle the remaining streusel evenly over top the muffins.
- Bake at 425 for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375 and cook for an additional 15 minutes. The muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Mix the powdered sugar and apple cider together until smooth, then drizzle with a spoon over top the muffins.
You can make these in standard size muffin tins, just reduce the baking time.
The calories shown are based on the recipe making 6 jumbo muffins, with 1 serving being 1 muffin. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.