Big, bakery style Apple Butter Streusel Muffins have a layer of apple butter and crumb streusel, with an apple cider glaze on top.
Muffins are one of my many favorite morning breakfasts. I love waking up remembering there is a new “Lizzy T’s” muffin waiting for me to savor. Especially if it has apple butter and streusel.
This is one of the best apple recipes for tender, fluffy muffins! You will love them topped with our homemade apple butter!
Why you’ll love these muffins:
- Large mega muffin style muffin.
- Easy cinnamon batter.
- Apple butter swirl.
- Streusel inside and on top.
- Easy apple cider glaze.
How to Make Apple Butter Muffins
Tools You’ll Need:
- Jumbo Muffin Pan: I like big muffins and I cannot lie. This is a non-stick pan so muffins come out easily!
- Apple Butter: This is a great store-bought brand…or make your own homemade apple butter.
- Pastry Cutter: I use this tool all the time. It cuts butter into flour perfectly for streusels, crusts and other pastries.
- Saigon Cinnamon: This is our favorite cinnamon. You can’t beat its flavor!
These Apple Butter Streusel Muffins are fairly easy- your normal homemade muffin recipe just jazzed up a bit. It’s flour, sugar, baking soda, an egg, milk, oil, cinnamon, and salt. They key to making amazing muffins is to be careful not to overmix the batter. You want to mix it just until it is combined so the muffins stay moist and tender.
Here’s a secret between you and me: When something is cinnamon flavored, I put in just a little more cinnamon than it calls for (such as in these apple dumplings). Nothing major, just a shake or two. Think of it as a cinnamon boost.
Apple Butter Swirl
Where’s the apple butter in the muffins? What I did was simply put in half the batter into the tin, then dropped on a tablespoon of apple butter and sprinkled some streusel over top, then repeated the layers and baked as usual.
What do you get? A rich cinnamon streusel muffin with an exploding apple flavor wrapped inside. Amazing, right?
The streusel you sprinkle on top of the apple butter streusel muffins is made of flour, cinnamon, sugar, walnuts, and butter. Use a fork or a knife to cut the streusel together until it resembles coarse crumbs. This sugary streusel is not only going inside the muffin but also on top!
Apple Cider Glaze
This two ingredient glaze is simply powdered sugar and apple cider. Whisk the two together until it is smooth and drizzle it over the muffins. If the muffins are warm, the glaze will sink in and make it taste almost like a donut.
If you don’t have apple cider, use apple juice or a high fat milk such as half and half or heavy cream. Whatever liquid you choose, add 1 tablespoon at a time until it is the consistency you’d like.
Muffin Ice Cream Sandwiches
If you love fun food, make an ice cream sandwich with this muffin! Slice it in half, then add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. It’s absolutely amazing and a fun serving idea.
Apple Butter Streusel Muffins
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/3 cup apple butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 4 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons apple cider (or heavy cream)
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. In another bowl, mix the egg, milk, and oil. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix just until combined. Do not overmix!
- For the streusel, combine the flour, cinnamon, sugar and walnuts together. Cut in the softened butter until you have a crumbly mix and the butter is all mixed in.
- Spray jumbo muffin tins with cooking spray and spoon a heaping tablespoon of batter into the bottom of each cup. Put a tablespoon of apple butter over top the batter. Then sprinkle some streusel topping over the apple butter. Distribute the remaining muffin batter over each of the muffin cups equally. Sprinkle the remaining streusel evenly over top the muffins.
- Bake at 425º Fahrenheit for 5 minutes, then reduce the oven temperature to 375º Fahrenheit and cook for an additional 13-15 minutes. The muffins are done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Mix the powdered sugar and apple cider together until smooth, then drizzle with a spoon over top the muffins.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Switch out the milk for buttermilk to give a great flavor.
Yes you can, but the muffins may have a slightly different texture. You can also use melted coconut oil.
Yes. If you’d like you can add finely diced apple to the batter at the end of mixing. Stir the apples in gently.