These Blueberry Cheesecake Blondies are a delicious cheesecake blondies bursting with fresh summer blueberries making this the perfect treat for the summer!
I think blueberries are my favorite fruit. I like to snack on them firm and tart though, not super sweet and ripe. It works out, since my family likes the sweet ones and I can pick out the ones I like best. But even I have to admit that the sweet blueberries are best for baking. You definitely want a little sweet in your baked goods!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
- Baked blondies with such a vibrant, deep purple color. The ultimate in natural food coloring happens with these fresh summer berries!
- A blondie base that is sturdy enough to hold up to the cheesecake and blueberries. And it bakes up moist and full of brown sugar and vanilla flavor.
- Quick to make. The chilling necessary makes them perfect for a make ahead dessert.
Can I use frozen blueberries?
Fresh berries are best in this recipe. However, if you do choose to use frozen berries, don’t thaw them. Keep them frozen and proceed with the recipe as it is written. And don’t worry about frozen berries not being nutritious. There are studies that frozen blueberries may actually be better for us.
How to Make Blueberry Cheesecake Blondies
This bakes in a 9″ square baking pan. You could use 8″ but they may take a little longer to bake because the bars will be thicker. It also helps to line the baking pan with parchment paper. This will allow you to pull the bars out from the pan easily so that you can get nice clean cuts for serving.
The blondie layer is easy to mix up. Think chocolate chip cookie dough without the chocolate chips! Cream the butter, sugars and wet ingredients first, then mix in the dry. Only one bowl needed for the blondie part.
The cheesecake layer couldn’t be easier. Throw all the ingredients (except the blueberries) in a bowl and give it a good beating until smooth. Stir in the blueberries and that’s all there is to it. After a base layer of blondie, I’ve alternated the cheesecake batter and remaining blondie batter to create a swirl pattern. Since the batters are slightly different thicknesses, this technique was easier than trying to marble the batters with a knife.
Add a few extra blueberries on top if you’d like right before baking. This will make the tops of your bars look so pretty.
Can you make these blondies ahead?
After baking, they can be refrigerated up to overnight, which makes them great for entertaining. I love desserts that can be made ahead 🙂 If you can manage not to sneak too many bites! Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Blueberry Cheesecake Blondies
For the Blondie:
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature) (1 1/2 sticks)
- ½ cup granulated sugar (3.5 ounces)
- ¾ cup light brown sugar (5.5 ounces)
- 2 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all purpose flour (7.75 ounces)
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
For the Blueberry Cheesecake:
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 large egg room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup blueberries
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
Make the blondies:
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter, sugar and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt and mix until just combined.
Make the cheesecake:
- In a second bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, sour cream, egg and vanilla until smooth and creamy.
- Stir in the blueberries.
- Place half of the blondie batter into the prepared pan and smooth out to cover the bottom of the pan.
- Place spoonfuls of the cheesecake batter on top of the blondie batter, but do not spread out.
- Place spoonfuls of the remaining blondie batter around the cheesecake batter. If necessary, smooth out the top of the batters so that they are mostly even.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out mostly clean, or with just a few moist crumbs. The top will be a light golden brown color.
- Allow to cool to room temperature and the refrigerate until chilled.
- Slice into 16 squares.
- Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.