If you love cut-out cookies, try this soft, chocolate chip version! These Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies are fun for kids to decorate for any holiday or occasion.
We’re super excited for spring at our house. Not only does spring mean an end to the snow and cold, but it also means it is time for our first blogiversary! It’s hard to believe that we’ve been working on this blog for just a year. We’ve learned a ton and had so much fun this year!
We have quite the surprises planned for you this month. Think giveaways of some of our favorite things! We also have so many fun recipes planned for you. We’ve got chocolate and peanut butter in the works, new pancake recipes, and cupcakes. And what is a celebration without sprinkles?! Be looking ahead for lots of sprinkles coming your way.
Our first fun sprinkle recipe for you is these Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies. Cut-out cookies have always been a fun part of our family celebrations. We grew up with my grandma’s awesome sugar cut-out cookies, a classic for any occasion.
We’ve always thought a chocolate version of a cut-out cookie would be so good. We came across this Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies in an old Amish cookbook and knew we had to share it with you!
You’re going to love these cookies because they are soft. What keeps them so soft? Brown sugar and sour cream. Softness makes a perfect cut-out cookie for me. And the fact that these have mini-chocolate chips scattered throughout each bite makes them extra special for this chocolate-lover!
Since spring is here…or at least is supposed to be here…we decided to make our cookies into colorful flowers. We used melted chocolate chips to make a spot of chocolate topping for the center of the flower and then added some sprinkles. You can also decorate these with traditional icing, such as our favorite buttercream frosting!
Enjoy these Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies!
Chocolate Chip Cut Out Cookies
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 2 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4-5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- melted chocolate or frosting for decorations
- Cream together the sugar, shortening, eggs, salt and vanilla.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in the microwave according to the package directions.
- Add the chocolate to the sugar mixture and mix well.
- Add the baking soda into the sour cream and mix until combined. Add the sour cream alternately with the flour into the sugar mixture. You'll need 4-5 cups of flour, keeping the dough soft and adding just enough flour so that the dough can be easily handled.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Chill the dough for 3 hours.
- Once the dough has been chilled, roll it out to 1/4" thickness. Use cookie cutters to cut shapes.
- On a non-stick baking sheet, bake the cookies in a 350 degree oven for 8 minutes. Our cookies were about 3" in diameter. If your cut-outs are larger, they may take another minute or two to bake.
- Once the cookies are cool, frost them as desired. We melted 8 ounces of chocolate chips and used a teaspoon to spoon chocolate into the center of the flour. Immediately sprinkle the chocolate with colored sprinkles before the chocolate sets.