Dessert…or breakfast! This easy walnut breakfast cake has a buttery broiled brown sugar nut topping. This cake is ready to serve in under 1 hour…and so perfect for breakfast or brunch.
Easy Walnut Breakfast Cake
This deliciously moist easy walnut breakfast cake comes from one of my favorite cookbooks…Amish Cooking. In this cookbook it is simply titled “Amish Cake”. Not that descriptive, right? But if this cake is what describes an Amish cake, count me in. Moist, sugary sweet and with a baked in walnut topping. It can be ready in an hour…perfect for dessert, breakfast or brunch!
Brown Sugar Buttermilk Cake
This cake is the ULTIMATE in moist. There are two ingredients that keep this cake moist:
- Brown Sugar
There is no white sugar in this cake…just two cups of brown sugar. You can even use dark brown sugar for even more moisture. If you don’t have buttermilk, simply add 1/2 tablespoon of white vinegar to the 1/2 cup measuring cup, then fill the rest of the measuring cup with milk. After a few minutes, the milk will start to curdle slightly. This will work a substitute for buttermilk.
Broiled Nut Topping
This cake has a simple nut “frosting” made of sugar, butter, milk and nuts. Mix this together and spread it on an already baked cake. Then put it under the broiled for a few minutes until the topping is bubbly. The butter and sugar will gently soak into the top of the cake. Goodness it is good.
Use walnuts or pecans, whichever are your favorite nuts! You can even add a little coconut if you wish.
Other Coffee Cake Recipes
Tools for Making This Cake
- 9”x13” Baking Pan: One of my most used kitchen pans.
- Ninja Express Chop: Mini food processor…this is the easiest way to chop nuts.
- Hand mixer: I don’t pull out my stand mixer for this recipe. Use a hand mixer to cream the butter and sugar so the cake bakes evenly.
Easy Walnut Breakfast Cake
- 1/2 cup butter (softened)
- 2 cups brown sugar (packed)
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.
- Add the buttermilk and baking soda. Mix well.
- Add in the flour and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until the center bounces back when you touch it.
- While the cake is baking, make the topping. In a bowl, combine the butter, milk, brown sugar and nuts. Mix well.
- Spread this mixture all over the top of the warm cake.
- Place under the broiler (turned to low) and bake for 1-3 minutes or until the nut topping is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow the cake to cool.
- Serve warm alone, with whipped cream or with ice cream.