Bacon, apple cider vinegar, onion and sugar give this German potato salad a kick! Traditionally served warm, this potato side dish is a delicious combination of salty and sweet.
German Potato Salad Recipe
Although I’ve grown to like potato salad more in my grown up years, I’ll be honest that my mom’s German potato salad was not my favorite. There is a strong sweet vinegar aroma while it bakes and that smell just used to turn me off. I’m all about sweet and salty though, so I’ve come to enjoy this more as an adult. And….bacon…so who can say no to that??
Is German potato salad really German?
According to Wikipedia, southern Germany makes potato salad with vinegar, bacon and onions. In northern Germany, the potato salad is mayonnaise based and is similar to United States potato salad.
What’s in German potato salad?
You’ll find that there are different variations of potato salad. My mom’s German potato salad has potatoes, bacon and onion
What kind of potatoes are best for potato salad?
Low starch potatoes are best for salads because they hold their shape after boiling. For German potato salad, choose red potatoes and Yukon gold or yellow potatoes.
How do you make hot German potato salad?
The first step to making hot German potato salad is to prepare the potatoes. Get a large pan of water heating while you peel the potatoes and cube them. Allow the potato cubes to boil until they are soft enough to pierce with a fork.
- While the potatoes are boiling, heat a skillet and cook the bacon and onion together until the bacon is as crisp as you’d like it. Remember that the bacon will soften some once it gets in the potato salad.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar and water.
- Add a tablespoon of flour to the skillet with the cooked bacon and onion. Use a spatula or a whisk to mix it in well. This will help the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Add the vinegar mixture and use a whisk to mix well.
- Allow the sauce to thicken slightly.
- Then add the bacon and onions to the drained, cooked potatoes and pour the hot sauce all over.
- Mix well and serve warm.
Does German potato salad have to be served warm?
In most cases German potato salad is served warm, but you can serve it cold if you’d like.
How long does German potato salad last in the refrigerator?
German potato salad should last about 3-4 days in the refrigerator if sealed in an airtight container.
Can you freeze German potato salad?
Because this salad does not have mayonnaise in it, you can freeze it. However, potato salad doesn’t freeze the best. When it thaws, liquids from the potatoes can separate and the salad can become soupy. It’s best to store German potato salad in the refrigerator.
What goes with German potato salad?
German Potato Salad
- ½ pound bacon (cut into small pieces)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- ⅔ cup water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 4 cups diced red potatoes (peeled and cooked)
- Fry bacon pieces and chopped onion together until bacon is cooked through to as crispy as you’d like it.
- Remove the bacon and onion from the pan and drain on a paper towel. Leave the bacon grease in the pan (it should be about 2 tablespoons of fat. If there is less, add oil).
- In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, salt, pepper, vinegar and water. Set aside.
- Add the flour to the grease in the skillet and use a whisk to blend it.
- Add the sugar/water mixture to the pan with the bacon grease roux. Use a whisk to mix well.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and allow the mixture to slightly thicken.
- Place the cooked potatoes in a bowl and add the bacon and onion.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes. Mix well.
- Serve hot.