This healthy & easy marinated chicken recipe is delicious on a salad. Light and fresh, Grilled Orange Chicken with a sweet & tangy flavor is a quick 30-minute meal.
This salad switches up the flavors a little bit and keeps dinner fresh and light for summer!
This easy summer salad recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make. How about that for getting dinner on the table in the lazy days of summer?
Is it healthy to eat grilled chicken?
Grilled chicken is a great way to serve lighter summer fare. It is high in protein and lower in sugar. This 2 ingredients chicken marinade does have some sugar in it, but you can lighten it up even more by using a low calorie Italian dressing and a little bit of orange juice if you’d like.
The orange juice will add orange flavor and help to tenderize the chicken slightly.
How to make Grilled Orange Chicken
Preheat the grill to 400º Fahrenheit. When you heat a grill to this temperature before placing the chicken on it, the chicken will be less likely to stick.
- Chicken breasts can be rather large. We like to slice chicken breasts in half so that they are thinner and grill more quickly. This keeps the chicken tender and juicy!
In a medium bowl, add in chicken, orange marmalade, and Italian dressing. Mix well.
Let chicken marinate for 10 minutes. If you’d like, you can do this step in the morning if you have a few minutes. But you’ll want at least 10 minutes of marinating time.
Add marinated chicken to the grill and cook 3-4 on each side, or until chicken is cooked through (165º Fahrenheit).
Remove chicken to a plate.
Let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving with side dishes or making a salad.
What temperature do you cook chicken breast to?
If don’t like tough, dry chicken, the key is to check the temperature while the chicken is grilling. We do this with an internal probe thermometer. Once the chicken reaches 165º Fahrenheit, it is done and safe to come off the grill.
As soon as the chicken is off the grill and on a plate, we cover it with foil to trap the heat and moisture in. This helps to prevent the chicken from becoming dry.
How do you serve grilled chicken?
We sliced this chicken and served it on a salad with orange slices, red onion and a crumbling of cheese. If you’d rather, you can serve whole chicken breasts that have been marinated in the orange marmalade and Italian mixture.
Sometimes when we are serving a crowd, we grill the chicken breasts whole, then slice them and put the slices in a big bowl so guests can easily take as much as they’d like.
What dressing to serve with grilled chicken salad?
With this recipe, you could choose Italian dressing since that is what the chicken is marinated in…or you could do a sweeter poppy seed dressing, sweet vidalia onion dressing…or even just a red wine vinaigrette.
What do you serve with Grilled Orange Chicken Salad?
We sometimes just share this salad for dinner. If we want something a little more (or are having company over for dinner), we like to serve the salad with a baked potato and dinner rolls. Really….that’s all you need for a complete meal!
Other Grilled Chicken Recipes
- Easy Chicken Marinade
- Asian BBQ Chicken
- Lemon Lime Pepper Chicken
- BBQ Chicken Rub
- Garlic Mustard Grilled Chicken
Grilled Orange Chicken
For the chicken:
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast (halved lengthwise to make it thin)
- 1 tablespoon Italian dressing
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
For a salad:
- romaine lettuce
- red onions (sliced)
- tangerine or orange slices
- crumbled cheese of choice
- dressing of choice (Italian or Poppy Seed)
- Preheat grill to 400º Fahrenheit.
- In a medium bowl, add in chicken, orange marmalade, and Italian dressing. Let chicken marinate for 10 minutes.
- Add marinated chicken to the grill and cook 3-4 on each side, or until chicken is cooked through (165º Fahrenheit).
- Remove chicken to a plate.
- Let rest 5 minutes before slicing and serving with side dishes or making a salad.