Need a quick, easy breakfast? Here’s how to make Instant Pot steel cut oats. Set the Instant Pot and then finish getting ready for the day. You’ll have warm, nutritious oats you can top with your favorite berries and nut butters in just about 15 minutes!
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
Is breakfast time a challenge at your house? I often think of using the Instant Pot when evenings get busy, but lately I’ve been using it in the morning too. Set this easy steel cut oats recipe in the Instant Pot when you wake up and have delicious oatmeal that each family member can customize by the time you are ready to work!
*Although the oats are only officially cooked for 4-6 minutes, remember that the Instant Pot takes about 10 minutes to come to pressure, and then an additional 10 minutes to depressurize.*
What are Steel Cut Oats?
Steel cut oats are whole oat groats that are cut into 2-3 large pieces using a steel blade. They cook more quickly than whole oats. Steel cut oats are sometimes called Irish oatmeal and are high in fiber.
Steel Cut Oats Vs Rolled Oats
All oats start out as groats, which are whole oat grains. The main difference between the different types of oats is the processing. Steel cut are whole oat grains cut into 2-3 pieces. Rolled oats are oat groats that are steamed, then flattened. Rolled oats cook more quickly than steel cut oats.
How to Make Steel Cut Oats in the Instant Pot
There are many ways to make steel cut oats, but our favorite is in the Instant Pot. Simply add oats to water in a 1:2 ratio. 1 serving of steel cut oats is 1/4 cup dry, which equals almost 1 cup once cooked. Set the Instant Pot to manual and set the timer to 4-6 minutes (or even up to 8…see the recipe below). Remember to plan time for the Instant Pot to come to pressure. This will be at least 8-10 additional minutes. Once the timer goes off, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10-12 minutes, then open the lid and stir the oats. Water will continue to absorb as they sit.
Other Oatmeal Recipes
Instant Pot Steel Cut Oats
- 2 cups steel cut oats
- 4 cups water (or any nut milk)**
- nut butter
- Spray the interior of the pot with cooking spray.
- Place water and steel cut oats in the Instant Pot.
- Give it a stir so that the oats aren't all in one spot.
- Place the lid on and turn the knob to sealed.
- Hit manual and change the time to 4-6 minutes. (4 minutes will be a chewier texture and 6-8 minutes will be a creamier texture.)
- Let pressure release naturally for 10-12 minutes or until the valve drops.
- Open the lid. The oats will look really watery. Mix it well and the water will absorb into the oats.
- Spoon the oatmeal into bowls and top with your favorite toppings.