I’ve got a classic recipe today that you are not going to want to overlook.
Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches. An unassuming, simple cookie that boasts the vintage flavor of a malted milk shake.
If there’s anything that says “comfort food”, it’s an ice-cold, creamy milkshake on a hot day. Since cookies and ice cream go together perfectly, I decided to make for you today a these malted milk cookies and stuff them with classic vanilla ice cream.
The problem is, thick cookies can make for an ice cream sandwich that is almost too big, too thick to bite into. That’s where these little beauties come in.
Malted milk powder makes this chocolate chip cookie recipe stand out from the rest. It boosts that vanilla flavor. The sweetened condensed milk helps to keep the cookies soft and thin. And that combination goes so well with ice cream.
Leave room for these cookies to spread, because they will. And again, you want them to. Transfer them immediately after baking to a flat surface so that they can cool completely. You’ll want to place them on parchment paper or aluminum foil rather than a wire rack. The cookies will be soft and will fall right through a wire rack.
See that hot fudge up there? Not necessary, but unbelievably good. You can bet that I got to eat that ice cream sandwich! 🙂 Wrap the cookies individually in wax paper for a treat that the kids will love.
I’m sharing this recipe as part of the Cookie of the Month Club! Find some other chocolate chip recipes here:
Graham Cracker Chocolate Chip Cookies from Kelli’s Kitchen
Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookie Sandwiches from Tastes of Lizzy T
Corn Flake Chocolate Chip Cookies from Bake or Break
Brown Butter Hazelnut Chocolate Chip Cookies from A Cookie Named Desire
Chocolate Chip Cookie Pops from Jen’s Favorite Cookies
Avocado Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies from Posed Perfection
Simple, soft, chocolate chip cookies are made into Malted Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies Sandwiches. Kids will love this summertime dessert!
13 minCook Time
13 minTotal Time
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup malted milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 sticks (1 cup) salted butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 gallon vanilla ice cream
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, malted milk powder, baking soda and salt. Mix well, then set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the sugars and softened butter. Mix on medium speed until it forms a grainy paste. Add the eggs, vanilla and condensed milk. Beat at medium speed until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and the chocolate chips. Mix just until combined, being careful not to overmix.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/4" balls and place them onto a cookie sheet lined with a non-stick baking mat. The cookies will spread, so be sure they are at least 2 inches apart. Bake for 13 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a surface lined with parchment paper to cool completely.
- Once the cookies are cooled, scoop ice cream onto a cookie, then top it with another cookie to make a sandwich. Repeat with the remaining cookies.
- Wrap the ice cream sandwiches in wax paper and freeze until serving.
*These cookies will be thin and soft, which makes them great for ice cream sandwiches.
Recipe Source: Mrs. Fields Best Ever Cookie Book (Slightly Adapted)