Triple chocolate cake mix brownies are a rich, decadent chocolate dessert – perfect for any chocolate lover. This three-layer dessert combines chocolate brownies from a cake mix together with chocolate pudding and chocolate glaze. If loving chocolate is wrong, we don’t want to be right!
Triple Chocolate Cake Mix Brownies
When the topic of discussion is chocolate desserts, people will often jump in, willing to offer their point of view on the subject. Arguments may begin over tiny differences of opinion, like:
Which are better; cakey brownies or chewy brownies?
Personally, I’m a chewy brownie fan (or rather a fudgy brownie lover) all the way. If one prefers crowdsourcing over arguments, they may jump in with a great conversation starter:
What can you make with chocolate cake mix?
Apart from the obvious, there are plenty of other things to make with that box of cake mix in your pantry.
The list goes on. But what about cake mix brownies?
Can you make brownies from a cake mix?
Oh yes, yes you can! Making brownies using chocolate cake mix is SO easy! But for an extreme chocolate lover, a pan of chocolate cake mix brownies is only the beginning. Watch cake mix brownie recipes closely because won’t add the same ingredients as what the box mix calls for. Read the recipe in advance and add only what your specific brownie recipe calls for. You may want to kick up the chocolate flavor two or three notches, aiming for a three-layer dessert with brownies, chocolate pudding, and chocolate ganache.
You are about to learn how easy it is to make Triple Chocolate Cake Mix Brownies!
How to make Triple Chocolate Cake Mix Brownies
Step One: Make the chocolate ganache
- Add chocolate chips to a large bowl.
- Cover the chips with warm heavy cream, whisking to combine.
- Set it aside, allowing it to set up while you make the cake mix brownies.
Step Two: Prepare cake mix brownies
Considering the difference in texture between cake and brownies, the key here is to use less liquid. When making a cake from a box mix, the instructions call for eggs, water, and oil. For chocolate cake mix brownies, you will leave out the water and oil, substituting butter instead.
After baking, the cake will need at least an hour to cool before the dessert can be assembled.
Step Three: Make the chocolate pudding
This is a chocolate dessert to top all chocolate desserts, so of course, making chocolate pudding with regular milk won’t do. Making the pudding with chocolate milk is appropriate. Oh yes. It’s such a simple idea, but actually brilliant.
Place pudding mix and chocolate milk in a large bowl and stir to combine. Allow the pudding to set up while the cake finishes cooling.
If you love chocolate desserts, these recipes are perfect for you!
Step Four: Create the layers
Spread the chocolate pudding over the brownies, topping it with chocolate ganache. If you’d like, you can add a sprinkling of colored sprinkles, mini chocolate chips or even chopped nuts.
Place the layered dessert into a refrigerator to chill for a couple of hours before slicing, then serve and enjoy!
How to Store Brownies
These chocolate brownies will need to be stored in the refrigerator because of the pudding layer. Make sure they are sealed well so they don’t dry out.
Can you freeze pudding brownies?
We’re often asked if you can freeze these brownies. Pudding actually freezes well in general, but because the pudding sits on top of a brownie layer, they may become soft and slightly soggy. So yes, you can freeze them, but it may affect the texture slightly. As with any dessert, allow them to defrost in the packaging completely before unwrapping them. This will help them to stay moist and have the best flavor.
Triple Chocolate Cake Mix Brownies
- 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 box chocolate cake mix (any brand)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 cups chocolate milk
- 1 package chocolate fudge instant pudding mix (3.4 ounces)
- Pour the chocolate chips into a bowl. In a small saucepan, heat up the heavy cream just until boiling. Pour the heated cream over the chocolate chips and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a 9x13-baking pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs and melted butter; stir until well combined. Spread into the prepared baking pan and bake for 15 minutes. Allow the cake base to cool on a rack for about an hour.
- Once cooled, add the chocolate milk and pudding mix into a large bowl; stir until well combined. Set aside.
- Once the pudding is thickened, spread it over the cooled cake layer. Then, top with the chocolate mixture you made in step 1.
- Chill for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars and serve.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.