Tropical Paradise Cookies…A twist on a chocolate chip cookie classic. White and bittersweet chocolate chunks, white and bittersweet chocolate chips, coconut, macadamia nuts and chopped dried mango are added for a tropical twist!
I have had the same chocolate chip cookie recipe for the past 25 years, it is our all time family favorite. We have tried many different recipes over the years and we always come back to this recipe because it is tried and true. It performs perfectly every single time I make it. After 25 years of never making a change to the recipe, I decided to shake things up and go tropical with these Tropical Paradise Cookies.
I considered wearing a grass skirt and watching Hawaii-Five-O while making these cookies. Then I remembered I do not own a grass skirt, and then I remembered why I don’t own a grass skirt. Last time I wore one it was not a pretty picture! I’m a “no extra padding needed” kinda girl. I have enough extra padding, it’s mobile and goes everywhere I do. No grass skirt needed.
I couldn’t find an episode of Hawaii-Five-O to watch, so I snacked on some macadamia nuts and dried mangos while I made the cookie dough. I opened a window and pretended that the breeze floating through my kitchen was from a remote tropical island. Since I was using my imagination my island included a maid, a chef, a personal trainer and a masseuse.
While the cookies were baking I decided to include white sandy beaches and cabanas with comfortable hammocks on my island. Everything was perfect. Then the timer went off for the last batch of cookies and brought me back to reality. My tropical island and its white sandy beaches were gone. That’s OK, because I’m left with a whole batch of these fabulous cookies. If you can’t take a trip to paradise, then make a batch of these cookies. They are the next best thing!
Tropical Paradise Cookies
- 2/3 cup butter room temperature
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large Ghirardelli White Chocolate Bar coarsely chopped
- 1 large Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Bar coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup Ghiradelli White Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup Ghiradelli Bittersweet Chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup dried mango chopped
- 1 cup macadamia nuts coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- In a separate bow combine the flour, salt and baking soda. Stir until mixed.
- In a stand mixer using a paddle, place the butter, shortening, white sugar and brown sugar, stir until all ingredients are mixed well.
- Add the eggs and vanilla, mix well.
- Add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients in your stand mixer.
- Add the white and bittersweet chocolate chunks, white and bittersweet chocolate chips and dried mangos, mix well. Add the macadamia nuts and coconut flakes mix well.
- Bake at 350 for 11-15 minutes on an un-greased cookie sheet, or until golden brown.