I hope you all had a wonderfully relaxing Memorial Day. What we thought was going to be a rainy day, turned into beautiful sunshine!
Today I have an unbelievable cake recipe for you. I found this Pineapple Sunset Layer Cake years ago in a Taste of Home cookbook. I am a pineapple lover, so I knew this cake was for me. After baking it once, I was in love! Since that time, we’ve shared it with many people, the biggest group being our church family. They love this cake and I am asked to make it quite often. Which is fine with me, since it is so easy.
I know many recipes claim to be easy, but believe me. This layer cake quick, and won’t disappoint.
You are going to use a boxed yellow cake and mix it according to the box directions. The key to the moistness of this cake is the addition of a can of mandarin oranges, drained. Just add these oranges to the cake batter and mix to blend it well. Then bake the cakes as directed.
The joke around our house about layer cakes is that there are certain family members who love to cut the dome off the top of the cake in order to make it a flat layer. If you are like our family and love the top part of a cake, this cake is for you. It is absolutely the best cake to eat…with or without the frosting!
The frosting is just as easy as the cake. Just mix a can of crushed pineapple, drained, with a box of vanilla pudding. Then fold in Cool Whip and you are done! This is one of my favorite cakes to make since you can’t mess up frosting it. It looks great a little messy.
Trust me…with a tastes like this, no one will mind.
Make this cool, refreshing Pineapple Sunset Layer Cake for a picnic this summer!
- 1 package yellow cake mix
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 12 oz Cool Whip
- Prepare cake batter according to the directions on the box. Beat in oranges until blended. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350Â° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes and then transfer from the pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Combine the drained pineapple and dry vanilla pudding mix. Fold in the Cool Whip. Spread some of the frosting on the top of one layer. Then put the other layer of cake on top of that. Spread the remaining frosting on the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with mandarin oranges, if desired.
- Store in the refrigerator!
Use sugar free pudding or light Cool Whip to reduce the calories a bit!
Do you LOVE Layer Cakes as much as we do?